It’s not a party unless there’s cake, or so believe my own children. I inquired on the 510Families Facebook page (which you should like, if you don’t already) about favorite birthday cake makers in the East Bay. The responses, together with a few other sources of intel, resulted in this list.
- A Taste of Denmark (formally Neldam Bakery) on Telegraph — a real Oakland institution and now a worker-owned cooperative — offers a half-sheet cake for $60.
- Cakes By 2 Moms is just what it sounds like. Homemade cake, but not by you! See samples of their detailed, custom decorations for kids on their blog.
- Vital Vittles, an organic mill and bakery, produces dairy-free cakes. Need to serve a kosher crowd? Try the banana chocolate chip cake. My friend Rachael exclaims “It’s amazing and cheap!” (But not decorated.)
- Costco has a bakery that will personalize your sheet cake with classic designs. The price is certainly right at about $0.40 per serving.
- Baskin Robbins makes delicious, albeit sugary, ice cream cakes. “Always a crowd pleaser,” says Anne Marie, the owner of Grove Street Kids.
- Marías Gourmet Pastries in El Sobrante is known for their tres leches cake. On Facebook, one mom says that it’s “Great, fresh and always crowded with happy customers!”
- Cupkate, whose goods can be sampled via her truck, can be contracted for batches of cupcakes for a party. See also Love at First Bite for North Berkeley cupcakes.
- Merritt Bakery brags “decorated cakes on short notice”. Another Oakland institution, this Lake Merritt bakery offers shaped cakes (like a hamburger!), toy-decorated cakes, and photo cakes for those who like to eat their own face.
- Teacake with locations in Emeryville and Oakland sells lovely delicious cupcakes with modern vintage designs that will run you about $60 per dozen.
- Ben and Jerry’s in Downtown Berkeley allows you to customize a cake online and order it. Or just call the shop and have someone hold your hand through it.
Any other local favorites? Tell us your favorites in the comments below.
photo of Love at First Bite cupcakes: freckling on flickr