A day off in the middle of the week? Here’s what’s happening around the East Bay:
- Lawrence Hall of Science – main exhibit area, animal discovery room and planetarium show are all open on Thursday, July 4.
- Alameda County Fair – in Pleasanton you’ll find the fairgrounds open from 10 am to 9 pm for the holiday. Visit the official website to print coupons and see the schedule of events. The day is packed with story times, clown performances, magic, and music, not to mention rides.
- Family Fun Festival – Jack London Square has planned a big afternoon of kid-friendly fun.
- The Exploratorium – will be open for visitors in San Francisco
- Berkeley Marina – this huge 4th of July festival includes bouncy houses in all shapes and sizes, performances by Buddy Club talent, a petting zoo, and if you can stay til 9.30 pm, fireworks over the Bay.
- Oakland Zoo – Open on the Fourth from 10-4
- Albany’s Memorial Park – the Green, Red, White and Blue festivities include a mustache contest, human hamster balls, a diaper derby, and tons of activities for kids. Pack a picnic and stay all afternoon.
- Children’s Fairyland – Open on the Fourth from 10-4.
- Alameda’s Mayor’s Parade – more than 30,000 people watch this parade and there’s a kid’s area with attractions to fill the day. Line up starts as early as 8 am! A 5k takes place at 9.45 am that morning, too.
- Tilden Park – The Carousel and Steam Trains will both be running.
photo courtesy of Alameda Mayor’s 4th of July facebook page