There really is something for everyone as UC Berkeley, AKA Cal, opens its doors to the families of the East Bay for Cal Day. My husband and second grader have their eyes on auditing another physics class while my kindergartner and toddler want to run around the grounds making slime and looking for doggies and birdies respectively.
Experience it for yourself this Saturday April 12th.
To choose the best demos and classes for your family, you can sort by time, category, or kid-friendly. Here are a few activities that stood out for me:
- Pick up your Passport to Science@Cal 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, south entrance
- Build a Box City! 9:00 am-2:00 pm Wurster Hall, 2nd floor lobby
- Bugs at Berkeley 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, 3rd floor
- Meet T. rex: Science@Cal 9:00 am-4:00 pm Wallace Atrium, 1st floor Valley Life Sciences Building
- Science@Cal: Butterfly Survival Strategies 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, south entrance
- Tour the Campus Tree Trail 9:00 am-4:00 pm Mulford Hall, east patio
- UC Botanical Garden: Plants of the World and Garden Animals 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, courtyard
- Kids Zone Sponsored by ASUC and Alpha Phi Omega 10:00 am-3:00 pm Memorial Glade
- Hands-on Physics 10:00 am-3:00 pm demos at 235 LeConte Hall, 245 LeConte Hall, 248 LeConte Hall
- Showtime in Sproul Plaza 10:00 am-3:00 pm Sproul Plaza
- Astronomy Demonstrations and Hands-on Activities 10:00 am-3:30 pm Lawn North of Sproul Hall
- Computer Programming for Kids Ages 8-18 10:00 am-3:30 pm 330 Soda Hall
- Xtreme BUGS Invade The Hall and Geeky Entertainment 10:00 am-5:00 pm Lawrence Hall of Science (take Hill Shuttle from Evans Hall east entrance)
- Hands-on Ocean Science Fun! 10:00 am-2:00 pm McCone Hall Plaza
- Make Your Own Pot and Rock Art Painting 10:00 am-2:00 pm Archaeological Research Facility, 2251 College Ave.
- Mask-Making @ BAM/PFA 11:00 am-2:00 pm 2626 Bancroft Way Berkeley Art Museum
- Fun with Physics 10:00-10:45 am 1 LeConte Hall
- The Music Connection Instrument Workshop 10:00-11:00 am 125 Morrison Hall
- Robot Learning Lab: A Robot that Folds Laundry, High-Fives, and Hugs! 10:00 am-1:00 pm Kvamme Atrium, 3rd floor Sutardja Dai Hall
- Celebration of Children’s Literature and Literacy 10:00 am-2:00 pm Morrison Reading Room Doe Library
- Hear the Cal Band! 10:30-11:00 am Sather Gate
- SpringFest: Edith Coliver Festival of Cultures 10:30 am-4:00 pm 2299 Piedmont Ave. International House
- Life in an Egyptian Pyramid Town 11:00-11:30 am 254 Barrows Hall
- Science@Cal: Puppet Show 11:00-11:30 am Valley Life Sciences Building, south entrance
- Ice Nucleation Magic Show 11:00 am-1:00 pm Genetics & Plant Biology Lawn
- Martial Arts Demonstration and Lesson 11:00 am-1:00 pm Martial Arts Room Recreational Sports Facility
- Adventures in Space Science 11:00 am-5:00 pm Space Sciences Laboratory (take Hill Shuttle from Evans Hall east entrance)
- Fun with Physics: Why Should Students Have All the Fun? 1:00-1:45 pm 1 LeConte Hall
- Snake Dissection Demonstration 1:00-2:00 pm 3101 Valley Life Sciences Building (in the Grinnell Miller Library)
- Build a Tower to Resist Earthquakes 1:30-3:00 pm Davis Hall, 2nd floor bay
- Unmanned Flying Drone Demonstration 1:30-3:00 pm Trefethen Terrace Bechtel Engineering Center
- Fun With Fossils 1:30-3:30 pm 3007 Valley Life Sciences Building
Make Your Own Animal-Inspired Creation! 2:00-3:00 pm 3101 Valley Life Sciences Building
Science@Cal: Puppet Show 3:00-3:30 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, south entrance
SUPERB’s Cal Day Concert 4:00-6:00 pm Memorial Glade
I know that’s a LOT to take in. And I only named a few dozen activities. You won’t get to it all, and that’s okay. Work with your child to pick a few events or classes that will best capture her imagination and attention span, then just go for it. See the full schedule of activities. See also tips for your visit.
Tweet along at #sharecalday to share your pictures and find live tips!
[photo from http://calday.berkeley.edu/]