Berkeley Public Library will be giving away thousands of free comics and hosting fun comic-book themed events in celebration of Free Comic Book Day on Saturday May 4th! The festivities will take place from 1:00pm – 4:00pm at all library locations. Free comics will be available for children, teens, and adults (limit three per person, while supplies last) and the public programs are open to all.
This year, the Free Comic Book Day titles being offered at the Berkeley Public Library include Spider-Man, Lumberjanes, Minecraft, Stranger Things, and much more. And since Free Comic Book Day overlaps with Star Wars Day this year (“May the 4th be with you”), the Library will offer a special comic from Star Wars Adventures and many of the events will have a Star Wars theme or activity!
Events for all ages will also be taking place at a library near you. All of the below free events happen from 1pm – 4pm unless otherwise noted:
- Central Library (2090 Kittredge St. at Shattuck Ave.): Find the comic book giveaway for Teens and Adults the newly redesigned first floor Commons, and stick around to watch a Star Wars movie. Kids’ comics will be found in the fourth floor Children’s Room, along with a Dynamic Cartooning Workshop with artist and educator Cara Goldstein, for ages 7 and up from 1:30pm – 2:30pm.
- Claremont Branch (2490 Benvenue Ave. at Ashby Ave.): Cartooning Workshop with Aaron Southerland – Teaching artist and cartoonist Aaron Southerland will be leading a workshop for all ages on character creation and visual storytelling from 1pm – 3pm. And from 1pm – 4pm you’ll be able to pick up your free comics!
- North Branch (1170 The Alameda at Hopkins St.): Comic-Themed Makerspace and Professional Sketches – Our monthly Makerspace goes full nerd with comic book crafts galore. We will also have three professional comic book artists on site to draw you a personalized sketch of your favorite characters!
- Tarea Hall Pittman South Branch (1901 Russell St. at MLK Jr. Way): Recycled Comics Crafts – Turn old comics into new art! We will show you how to use comic book pages in a variety of paper crafts while watching Lego Star Wars movie.
- West Branch (1125 University Ave. at San Pablo Ave): Comics Buttons – Turn your favorite art into personalized buttons while enjoying a Star Wars film.
NOTE: This date/event is in the past. Keep browsing.
Date(s) - 05/04/19
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Disclaimer: Please double check event information with the activity organizer or venue as events can be canceled, details can change after they are added to our calendar, and errors do occur.
COVID-19 Coronavirus note: Please be mindful of “social distancing” strategies and always wear a mask to events with other people.