Come out to Ardenwood Historic Farm on Labor Day weekend for the 20th Annual Rail Fair! Everyone will enjoy a day of fun at this celebration of trains. All activities are FREE with the price of admission!
- The passenger train will be pulled by “Katie,” a diesel locomotive built by Plymouth Locomotive Works. “Katie” is a favorite with the children (all days).
- The narrow gauge steam locomotive “Ann Marie” was built by H.K. Porter Company in 1890. She was originally built for Cortez Mines, Ltd. who operated a gold and silver mine in Central Nevada. The locomotive will be park near the public for great photo opportunities, and will be doing operating demonstrations (all days).
- The Bay Area Garden Railway Society (BAGRS) will bring a variety of scale steam locomotives to operate. These small but mighty engines work exactly like a full-size steam engine (Saturday and Sunday only).
- BAGRS is also bringing their beautiful “Roving Garden Railroad” with live plants and a real waterfall. The railroad is based on the children’s books “The Boxcar Children” (all days).
- Diablo Pacific Shortline’s large modular railroad has both freight and passenger trains operating, as well as a Thomas the Tank Engine train. This railroad is built low so the littlest railroad fans can follow the trains around this huge layout (all days).
- The California Central Coast On30 Railroad portrays central California during the early 1900s. Each module is designed by a different modeler and the details are fantastic (all days).
- The Paul Family Lego Railroad is built of Legos! This amazing Lego city has trains running through the scenes (all days).
There will be LIVE music all 3 days! Two music groups who have been performing at Rail Fair for over a decade will be back. On Saturday and Monday (11:30-3:30) the California State Old-Time Fiddlers will play traditional American string band music, including many rare old fiddle tunes and lots of Appalachian-style music. On Sunday (11:30-3:30) the Apple Butter Brothers will play American folk music with an emphasis on “Train Songs.”
A toddler area will have multiple wooden trains; a Train Book Library where you can read train books to your little ones; and learn fun facts and stories about the Gray Fox that lives near the railroad tracks (10-3:30 all 3 days). For older children there will be stilts & tabletop games (11-12 and 1-2 all 3 days).
The beautiful Patterson House will be open for tours (all 3 days).
Don’t forget your hats and sunscreen! Activities are spread out throughout the farm.
Food will be available for purchase at the Farmyard Café (or bring a picnic). The Farmyard Café also has ice cream, treats and cold drinks.
Tickets are sold at the gate. Cash and credit cards are accepted. Parking is free. Toddler activities close at 3:30 pm.
Presented by The Railroad Museum at Ardenwood, operated by the Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources (SPCRR), a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We are a volunteer railroad museum saving, protecting, and restoring Carter Brother’s railroad cars from the 1800s – Newark’s first industry. www.spcrr.org
Rail Fair is operated in conjunction with the East Bay Regional Park District and the City of Fremont.
NOTE: This date/event is in the past. Keep browsing.Mon September 2, 2019
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Ardenwood Historic Farm 34600 Ardenwood Blvd. Fremont
Admission: $12/adults ages 18+; $9/children ages 4-17; ages 3 and under free
View Website > >
Contact: Event Coordinator email@example.com 510-544-2797
Add to Your Calendar: iCal
COVID-19 Coronavirus note: Please be mindful of “social distancing” strategies and always wear a mask to events with other people.