Play Star Kids is a new, contemporary, open play space suitable for children 5 and under. Located in the posh San Ramon City Center Bishop Ranch shopping center, children can engage in a variety of active and quiet activities.
Play Star features a mid-sized play space of approximately 3,500 square feet:
- Movement activities: Rock climbing wall, play structure.
- Dramatic play centers: Play house- a sweet, miniature cottage with a metal bell to ring, play kitchen, costumes, tent.
- Table top activities: Legos, train set, puzzles, dinosaurs, and blocks.
- Engineering toys: Magnetic gears, build-your-own maze.
- Infant space: padded floors, blocks, plush dolls, stacking rings, rattles, floor activity mat.
I visited with my 3 year old and she had a wonderful time exploring the play space. The tunnel slide was her — and many of the little ones — favorite activity. Do note however, it is very fast, but not to worry as the floors are completely padded.
I was most impressed by the engineering and strategic thinking activities that were unique to this play space. Similar to Lawrence Hall of Science, Play Star has an area to create a ball obstacle course using different materials such as, PVC pipes, wooden tracks, and rubber tubes. Also available was a detachable track wooden floor maze to create their own maze and navigate using bright colored balls.
The magnetic wall promoted literacy with letters, words, and pictures for matching in Spanish and English. I was pleased to see how inclusive the toys were– gender neutral and dolls of color.
Based on the location of this play space, it can be an all day affair. You'll find plenty of shopping, eating, and drinking (coffee!) opportunities for moms to check out. There's also a central courtyard with Adirondack chairs and large foam construction blocks for children to play.
Plan your visit to Play Star in San Ramon
Admissions: $18/child for a 1-day pass, $27 for 2 children, $36 for 3 children. Monthly membership available.
Address: City Center Bishop Ranch: 6000 Bollinger Canyon Road, Suite 2605 (on the second floor), San Ramon CA 94583
As of right now, the hours are weekdays 9:30-5 and Saturdays 10-2 with Saturday afternoons and Sundays reserved for undoubtedly fun birthday parties for ages 1 to 6.
For more information: Website >
Things to know before you go to Play Star Kids:
- Socks are required for both adults and child(s).
- No shoes allowed within the play space.
- Bathrooms include baby changing tables.
- Birthday bookings available for Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday.
- No food or drinks allowed.
[All photos by Sarah Lee; used with permission]