Cal Day is a terrific opportunity to for the little kids in the East Bay community to get a taste of the world class university in our backyard for FREE. There really is something for everyone as UC Berkeley (a.k.a. Cal) opens its doors and gates to families. My husband and big kids have their eyes on auditing another physics class while my little ones want to run around the grounds making slime and looking for doggies and birdies respectively.
Experience it for yourself Saturday April 16, 2016.
Visit the Cal Day planner online. To choose the best demos and classes for your family, you can sort by time, category, or family-friendly. Here are a few activities that stood out for me:
- Pick up your Science@Cal: Passport to Science first. For kids ages 4 to 12, you can get your passport stamped at each of 30 destinations of Cal Day, a great way to guide your day like a scavenger hunt: available 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, south entrance
- Science@Cal: Science Bonanza! Look for live animal shows and science activities for kids 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, south entrance
- Kids: Build a Box City! 9:00 am-2:00 pm Wurster Hall, 1st floor lobby
- T. rex and Friends 9:00 am-4:00 pm Wallace Atrium, 1st floor Valley Life Sciences Building
- Behind the Scenes at the Museum of Vertebrate Zoology 9:00 am-4:00 pm 3101 Valley Life Sciences Building to see the most unique specimens
- BUGS! Insects, Spiders and Their Kin 9:00 am-4:00 pm Valley Life Sciences Building, 3rd floor
- The Bug Doctor Brings Out the Bugs! 11:00 am-1:30 pm Genetics & Plant Biology Lawn
- Play with Clay! 9:30 am-2:30 pm Archaeological Research Facility, 2251 College Ave.
- Fun with Fossils 10:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:30 pm-3:30 pm 3007 Valley Life Sciences Building
- Robot Learning Lab: A Robot that Folds Laundry, Gives a High Five, and Hugs! 10:00 am-1:00 pm Kvamme Atrium, 3rd floor Sutardja Dai Hall
- Hands-On Ocean Science Fun! 10:00 am-2:00 pm McCone Hall, entrance & lobby
- Earthquake! 10:00 am-3:00 pm with lots of jumping 220 McCone Hall
- Kids Zone Sponsored by ASUC and Alpha Phi Omega 10:00 am-3:00 pm Memorial Glade
- Instrument Petting Zoo 9:30-10:30 am Hertz Hall, upper lobby
- Chemistry for Kids! 12:00-2:00 pm Latimer Hall-Pimentel Hall patio
- African Drumming and Dance 12:30-1:00 pm Hertz Hall, south patio
I know that’s a LOT to take in. And I only named a few dozen activities. You won’t get to it all, and that’s okay. Work with your child to pick a few events or classes that will best capture her imagination and attention span, then just go for it. See the full schedule of activities. See also tips for your visit.
Tweet and Instagram along at #sharecalday to share your pictures and find live tips!
[photos from http://calday.berkeley.edu/]