Soda Springs is the easiest ski resort to get to from the Bay Area, 164 miles from Berkeley, a straight shot on 80, and it might be the one that is most tailored to young kids and first-time skiers.
In addition to a ski mountain with lifts for every level, Soda Springs has built an all inclusive resort experience they call Mountain Adventure. For an admission fee specific to Mountain Adventure, guests get all-day access to the huge tubing runs and a tube to use. A moving sidewalk takes you back to the top of the hill so you can slide down again and again.
Mountain Adventure includes access to each of these winter wonders:
- Kids tubing carousel at Planet Kids
- Snow tubing for kids under age 7 and 42″ at Planet Kids
- Snow tubing for big kids and adults at Tube Town
- “Sleigh” Rides on a snow Jeep (Conditions Permitting)
- Ski/snowboard learning zone for kids only
- Woodward Start Park zone
- Snow play area with snow volcanoes and other snow piles to play on
- Snowman building and snow angels
- Complimentary rental equipment (skis/snowboard/helmet) is available from the West Meadows Lodge at Planet Kids for guests with a shoe size 4 or below (first come, first served basis).
The Mountain Adventure provides enough thrills for parents and kids alike. You must be 42 inches to ride at Tube Town, and under age 7 to enjoy Planet Kids. You must purchase tickets prior to arrival, and the price is dynamic ranging from $49 – $64
Pro tip: go on a day that your school is out, but is not a holiday for ALL schools, but note that Soda Springs is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Skiing at Soda Springs
Aimed at getting kids age 7 and younger into the snow and maybe even on skis, the Planet Kids area of Soda Springs has a variety of attractions for snow play, including some very gentle slopes for learning. You can also buy separate lift tickets and/or lessons for you and the family if tubing isn’t your speed. Remember though, you need to purchase tickets in advance!
Plan your trip to Soda Springs with kids
Tickets to the Mountain Adventure include access to all the play and tubing areas. More info on specifics here>
Soda Springs offers dynamic pricing based on the day, ranging from $49 – 64 per person (under age 2 is free) for the Mountain Adventure; $55-$75 per lift ticket; lesson packages for both ski and snowboarding $150+. You must purchase all tickets in advance.
You’ll need to buy separate lift tickets if you’re hoping to ski and not just tube.
See the location of Soda Springs Mountain Resort on Google Maps >
Plan your road trip with places to stop on the way to Tahoe>