Nestled in the 3000 block of Adeline Street in South Berkeley, you’ll find The Rec Room – an indoor cafe-with-play area geared for the whole gang. From new mama meet-ups to inclusive playgroups, they’ve got you covered (and then some).
I visited last week for a Parent & Tot Yoga Class and was impressed by the cute space. Really, it’s super cute.
What’s cool about the Rec Room play space:
- Designated play areas (with paid admission) for babies, preschoolers, and a games area for grade-schoolers.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-11:30 play coordinators with childhood development backgrounds will conduct a guided play section for the children, wrangling the toddlers and holding their attention with stories and art, while parents either relax or get some work done.
- Admission includes some free events including storytimes, crafts, toddler yoga.
- The Rec Room is also home to fee-based classes for toddlers that change seasonally. There’s even a series for babywearers who want to rock out to 90s music: Rockstar Dance Party is on Mondays at 11 am.
- Coffee, bottled teas/juices and a handful of healthy snacks are sold on site. (And I hear they are possibly expanding their menu to sandwiches/salads too.)
- Tables for homework/eating/mingling and a laptop-friendly vibe for the working parent. Plus free WiFi.
- It’s on the smaller side. For my family configuration, I’d rather see a larger play space and a train table over more cafe tables.
- A bit pricey for single day use (see notes below). That said, they offer a monthly membership option at $75/month for frequent users, which covers up to two kiddos.
- The Rec Room is only open in the mornings on weekdays. Weekends are for birthday parties.
- DISCOUNT ON REC ROOM ADMISSION >
Related: A great big list of places to have a kid’s birthday party in Berkeley
- Pricing: $10/child; adults and babies under 6 months are FREE. Admission gets you full day access and participation for the free classes of the day including their FREE parent massage. Say what? You need to visit twice per week with one child or once per week with two children to break even on the monthly membership model.
- For classes (free or not) RSVP prior to showing up through their site.
- Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 – 2pm
- The Rec Room is located at 3222 Adeline St in South Berkeley, near the Ashby BART Station.
[Photos by Sally Mason]