We were lucky to join the first Rockridge Ice Cream Tour as hosted guests of Local Food Adventures.
The Rockridge Ice Cream Tour is packed with sweet treats and fun facts, making it an enjoyable introduction to walking tours of all sorts. Expect a one-hour guided walk of about a half mile that brings folks of all ages through Oakland’s Rockridge neighborhood to enjoy a variety of ice cream desserts and learn more about how we come to enjoy them.
Lauren Herpich, founder of the Rockridge Food Tour, started the tour in response to parents who were looking for a fun way to share the neighborhood and keep their kids' interest.
Our own children, ages 7, 8, and 10, liked it a lot. Scarlett loved the salted caramel cookie sandwich at CREAM, Milo dug the lemon sorbetto at Powell's, and Julian's favorite was the mint chocolate chip CREAM sandwich. The youngest tour guest was a five-month old in a stroller; she didn't eat ice cream but was a happy passenger the whole time. The next youngest tourist was a two-year old who was happily overwhelmed with the deliciousness.
Whitney tells me that she was wary of the “walking” part of the walking tour because kids do not like to walk for “no reason.” Since the distance covered was so short she'd recommend it for kids as young as two (who can eat their weight in ice cream and miss naps without issue)!
Tours are Saturdays and Sundays from 3pm to 4pm June through October 30.
- Tickets to the tour are $20 for Adults and $15 for kids 12 and younger. Private group tours and kids birthday parties are available.
- Tickets can be purchased online or by calling (510) 604-6546 by 9 am of the day of the tour. For more information about the tour, please check out the website>
- Plan to find street parking.
- CREAM – Bite into the delicious ice cream sandwiches of Rockridge’s sweet spot!
- ZOONIE'S SWEET SHOPPE – Discover the European flavors of gelato and this very scrumdiddlyumptious regional candy shoppe and learn the difference between gelato and traditional ice cream.
- DREYER’S ICE CREAM PARLOR – Visit the birthplace of America’s first blockbuster ice cream flavor at the only ice cream parlor for the world’s largest ice cream company
Also cool: The Rockridge Food Tours donate $1 from every ticket purchased to the Alameda Community Food Bank.
Thanks to Lauren for inviting us on the tour and stuffing us to the max with frozen treats! All opinions are our own.