Berkeley has a new beer garden worth a visit. If you frequent the Ohlone Greenway, chances are you've biked past the construction site of the Westbrae Biergarten (at Gilman) and wondered of its pending opening. Good news, it's now open. Better news? I've checked it out for you.
The Wesbrae Biergarten is an outdoor beer garden with rotating food options. Pedro's Brazil Cafe is on site and Roti Roti promises frequent appearances. We checked it out for a late lunch a few days ago and were quite pleased.
How it works: Everything is outdoors. You order first at a counter, and they bring your food out to you. I had a salad, my husband the famous tri-trip sandwich, and Zayn had already eaten so we got him a pretzel and fries to snack on (but they do have a kids' menu). He devoured the fries, naturally.
What we liked:
- Family friendly – tons of strollers, babes in arms, and toddlers running around the place. Plus there's stroller (and bike) parking in the rear.
- Plenty of seating – picnic tables, lawn chairs, high chairs, and a fake grassy area where I saw families with small children playing while the parents enjoyed dinner.
- Gated with only one open entrance so you don't have to watch multiple exits while your child runs around.
- Umbrellas for when it's hot, heaters for when it's cold, and a fire pit. I thought that was cool.
- Live music? The World Cup was showing while we were there on two large screen TVs, but I've heard there's music. Maybe later on into the evening?
- Easily accessible. We walked, but you could bike, and there's plenty of free neighborhood parking.
- Trains! If your kid is train obsessed like my toddler, it's on the BART path.
- Lines were short but it seemed to take forever to order – I assume because everyone is just getting situated. I hope this will improve over time.
We'll be back, hopefully when there's more food options and music to dance to. Maybe we'll see you there.
Open 7 days a week | 11a – 9p
1280 Gilman St. (at Curtis), Berkeley
Price: $10/entree, $6/beer