The first bike park in the 510, Dirt World is a two-acre free, public bicycle terrain park currently open for our enjoyment on the Richmond Greenway.
There is no admission fee to use Dirt World. Bring your bike and start riding.
Designed for BMX and mountain bikes, the park features jumps, obstacles, and pump tracks for riders of all skill levels. For East Bay families looking for a totally unique adventure on two wheels, plan a visit to Dirt World.
Dirt World is open for riders from dawn to dusk with free coaching sessions frequently offered by Bay Area BMXers, a group lead by coach Howard Cato, who is dedicated to getting local kids on bikes to develop a confidence-building skill and healthy lifestyle.
Special thanks to Howard and the Dirt World team for inviting me and my family out to tour and experience Dirt World. Extra thanks to Coach Howard for getting my kid to conquer that “big hill shaped like a lowercase cursive R”.
What is Dirt World, Richmond?
Created in partnership with the city and local community organizations with over 15,000 cubic yards of donated dirt, thousands of volunteer hours, and the expertise of renowned bike track builder Alex Fowler at Action Sports Construction, the park includes:
- a two-rider BMX track
- four separate jump lines (beginner to advanced)
- a dirt quarterpipe
- a dirt pump track
- a paved pump track for strider bikes.
The terrain is ready to ride now, and the team continues to make improvements.
It is a terrific place for experienced dirt bikers and beginners alike. With several loops and tracks, even the little ones have a place to roll.
Dirt World is open to the public 365 days a year. Dirt World currently has no paid staff, so parents must be responsible for the safety of their kids while riding. Bay Area BMXers offers youth summer camps, clinics, and after-school training sessions at Dirt World, so you may be able to join an organized group if you or your kiddo need more coaching. Check out www.BayAreaBMXers.org for more information about upcoming camps, news, and events.
Plan your visit to Dirt World
Dirt World is located at 4 21st Street, Richmond between 20th and 23rd Street. The park is one of 17 volunteer-run adopt-a-spots located on the Richmond Greenway, a 3-mile long bikeway that stretches across central Richmond. Located a few blocks from the Richmond BART station, it is easy-ish to take public transportation or drive.
There are no bathrooms on site, but one a few blocks down the greenway at Unity Park in a pinch.
Email with more questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to bring along:
- Water bottle
- BMX or mountain bike (note: for specific community events, bikes are provided)
- Can-do spirit
What to leave behind:
- Cigarettes, alcohol, etc.
- Bad attitude
Dirt World Rules
- Bikes only. No motorized vehicles or RC cars.
- Helmets required. No exceptions.
- Pedestrians should stay off tracks and jump lines.
- Children 8-years-old & under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Please don’t ride when wet — it’s dangerous and destroys the tracks and jumps.
- Smoking & alcohol are prohibited within the bike park.
- Riding at Dirt World is a “hazardous recreational activity” per California Government Code 831.7. Ride at your own risk.
- All other City of Richmond Park rules and regulations apply.
[All photographs provided by Dirt World and used with permission unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved]