Weekday night dinner plans got you in a rut? We’ve rounded up ten East Bay Area restaurants that offer FREE food to kids. And by free, we mean with a paying adult. Hey, at least it’s something!
Ten East Bay Restaurants Where Kids Get Free Meals
- Chevy’s (Emeryville) Make Wednesday nights, family night. Kids 12 and under can enjoy one kids’ meal for $1 every Wednesday, per adult entrée purchased. Available all day in the dining room. Okay, not technically free, but pretty darn close. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as take-out and delivery. Website.
- Claremont Club and Spa Limewood Bar & Restaurant (Berkeley) Kids 5 and under eat free, and 12 and under receive 50% off when ordering off the regular menu. A great place to practice some fancy table manners with a view. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available. Website.
- El Torito (San Leandro) Wednesdays, kids under 12 eat for $1 with the purchase of any regular priced adult entree. Taco Tuesdays are so yesterday. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as take-out and delivery. Website.
- IKEA (Emeryville) Free baby food for every adult meal purchased in the IKEA restaurant. Mommy and me shopping made easy. 2020 Update: Restaurant opening soon according to county health rules. Website.
- IN-N-OUT (Alameda, Oakland, Pinole) Your favorite burger place offers kiddos free hot chocolate on rainy days. Who knew? 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as drive-through. Website.
- Rudy’s Can’t Fail Cafe (Emeryville) Family friendly with Southern Fried Chicken on Tuesdays, which is lucky since Tuesdays, kids 12 and under receive 1 free kid’s meal for each purchase of an adult meal ($10 minimum purchase required) 1 free kid’s menu item and kid’s drink. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as online ordering and take-out. Website.
- Shirasoni (Alameda) Free kids’ meal for children under 12 with the purchase of an adult meal on Tuesdays. Sushi, anyone? 2020 Update: Take-out ordering available. Website.
- Simply Fondue (Livermore) Take a Sunday drive to indulge in a Family Fondue Sunday. Kids 12 and under eat free with each adult Fondue Sampler or Fondue Feast purchased. A fun special occasion option. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available Website.
- Tender Greens (Berkeley) Use the app to earn points and reach Family Level membership Then you’ll earn the Kids Eat Free reward for children 12 or under. A fresh and healthy alternative. 2020 Update: Pick-up and delivery only. Website.
- Tomatina (Alameda) Pizza, salads, brussels sprouts, gluten free options, beer, wine. This place has it all. Plus kids eat free Thursdays after 4pm. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as take-out. Website.
There you have it! What did we miss? Please tell us, we love free (or almost free) things.
Disclaimer – Restaurants have the freedom to change their minds at any point. Please call to confirm.
Kids Eat Free Currently Suspended
With these crazy Covid-19 times, some restaurants are understandably suspending many of their promotions, including kids eat free. Hopefully they’ll come back in the future! In the meantime, ordering take-out is a fun kid-friendly way to support these local restaurants.
- Denny’s (Emeryville + El Cerrito) Kids eat free Tuesdays from 4 – 10pm with the purchase of an adult entree. Can’t beat the Denny’s Grand Slam – 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon and 2 sausage links. Enough to feed a family. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as take-out. Website.
- Filippos Italian (Rockridge) One free kids’ meal per entree ordered. Tuesdays only. Spaghetti, mac ‘n cheese, mini chicken parmigiana – take your pick – plus a sundae too! 2020 Update: Online ordering and take-out available. Website.
- IHOP (El Cerrito, Emeryville, Oakland + Richmond) Breakfast for dinner is always a good idea, especially when it’s cheap. Daily from 4 – 10pm with purchase of an adult entree. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well online ordering and take-out. Website.
- Knudsen’s Ice Creamery (Castro Valley) Mondays, buy one adult sundae get one kids’ sundae free. Wednesdays, buy one adult entree and get one kids’ meal free. 2020 Update: Outdoor dining available, as well as take-out. Website.
[Photo Credit: Julie Herson]