We love to find the right classes and lessons for our kids. Our small 510families team has signed up for everything from Academics to Zumba lessons, but isn't it great to try out a class before committing to a full session? Yes, it is! Here are a few great places that offer occasional free trials on kids' classes.
If you're curious about a class provider and you don't see them on our list, it doesn't hurt to ask!
Let us know if we missed your favorite in the comments!
Gymboree (Oakland, El Cerrito) – Gymboree classes for babies and toddlers focus on playing and learning. Classes offered for newborns on up. Locations in Oakland and El Cerrito. Schedule a free preview class.
Baby Boot Camp Strollfit (Oakland) With classes at Lake Temescal, you'll bring your stroller and make your way around a circuit at your own pace, led by an instructor. Register online for a free trial class.
Mama Army Playgroup Fitness (Albany, Richmond) This locally-owned and operated class is designed to help you get fit and toned, create lasting friendships and become proud of your body again. Sign up for free trial class >
East Bay Music Together (multiple East Bay locations) – Music Together offers you a special opportunity to preview a class with no obligation. They offer classes for many ages from babies up to age five and the classes are about an hour long. We *heart* Music Together and their many East Bay locations.
Lil' Kickers (Alameda) – The East Bay location of this nationwide soccer school is at the Bladium in Alameda. Schedule a free trial class for your child. The program teaches soccer fundamentals to children 18 months through 12 years.
Lil' Sluggers (Alameda) – Also at Bladium, Lil’ Sluggers is a child development program created to introduce children ages 2-6 to the game of baseball. More details >
AquaTech Swim School (Alameda) – AquaTech specializes in small group swim lessons for children on a drop-in or ongoing basis. Visit them online to learn more about their free trial classes, hours and programs. Registration is available year-round.
Berkeley Martial Arts (Berkeley) – Karate for Kids in Berkeley offers a comprehensive martial arts program for children ages 4-5 and 6 & above. First class is a free private trial to assess if your child would do well in group lessons. Website >
Here are a few options that we know will give you the first session free:
- Kindermusik Village series has classes for babies under 18 months; each class is 45 minutes long. First class is free and there's one this weekend. Other locations in Alameda, Piedmont, and Oakland. Note: their website is dreadful for finding locations. Sorry!
- Gymboree classes for babies focus on either music or playing – you can choose. Locations in El Cerrito, downtown Oakland, and Lafayette.
- Music Together is mixed age classes up to age five and the classes are an hour long. We *heart* Music Together and their many East Bay locations.
- The Little Gym starts as young as four months old with a general movement and socialization curriculum. It looks like the closest location is in Brentwood or Millbrae, too far for me.
- My Gym is a children’s “fitness center” that starts classes with parent participation at age – get this – six weeks! Nearest locations are in San Francisco and Walnut Creek.
You may find that other local independent parenting, music or movement center for kids offer a free trial visit as well.
Have you tried any? Let us know!
Find even more classes to sample for little kids in our Class Guide for Babies through Preschoolers.