The campsites in Anthony Chabot Regional Park are so deep in the park, which is part Oakland and part Castro Valley, that it feels like you've really left the area. But rest assured, your “road trip” will be less than half an hour, and you'll be camping.
The Hawk Ridge campsite, equipped with bathrooms, allows you to drive right up and set your chairs and tents in place. It is ideal for a group camping trip, for school groups, scouts, or other organizations.
Directions to Hawk Ridge campsite
There are several access points to Anthony Chabot Regional Park, located on Redwood Road in the hills above Oakland. Do not rely on Google Maps; bring these directions.
- From I-580 West in Castro Valley, take the Redwood Road exit (Exit 36) and turn RIGHT at Redwood Road.
- From I-580 East in Castro Valley, take the Redwood Road exit (Exit 36) and turn LEFT at Redwood Road.
- Once on Redwood Road, continue on Redwood Road for 6 miles through town and past the Proctor Staging Area, Willow Park Golf Course, and the Chabot Staging Area.
- Turn LEFT at the Marciel Gate onto Marciel Road
- Enter the park on Marciel Road and continue for 2 miles (veer left at the Marksmanship Range entrance)
- ARRIVE at the Anthony Chabot Family Campground entrance at the end of Marciel Road (0.4 miles beyond the Marksmanship Range entrance)