The third in the series of 52 weekly challenges for rookie moms is to Join a Mom’s Group. There are many great options for new mama support depending on how old your baby (or fetus in some cases!) and where you live.
As true rookie moms, we both joined the Support Group for Mothers organized by Sherry Reinhardt. There are many other great options:
- New and Expectant Moms facilitated by Suzanne Samuels meets at Sadie Dey’s, the Berkeley YMCA, and other places you already want to be around Berkeley and Oakland. Sessions are offered for expecting moms as well as new parents. See her website for price and schedule information.
- Support Group for Mothers facilitated by Jennifer Subasic-Marks and her team meets weekly for six sessions in locations around Berkeley and Oakland. Details and pricing available on the website.
- Working Moms Support Groups will be offered on alternating weekends beginning this February (2011). Details and pricing available on the website.
- Alta Bates Hospital has many support groups on a drop-in basis. Mondays and Thursdays 11:30-1:00 There is a drop in support group for babies birth to 6 months. Thursdays from 9;30-11:00 is a support group for parents of babies older than 6 months. There are breastfeeding support groups on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:30-3. Also mom and baby postpartum yoga and baby massage classes. More details and pricing available on the website.
- Mindful Mothering groups offered by Gina Hassan are targeted to moms with babies age 5 months to 25 months.
- Use Meetup.com to track down your own interest and support group: hiking moms, Oakland moms, tri-lingual households, Stay-at-home Dads, Korean moms, baby-bunchers, twin moms, etc. You name it and you can find it or create it.
Did you join a new moms group? How did you find your posse?