We understand that planning your day during “stay-at-home (most of the time)” can be a balancing act because we’re right there with you. We’ve curated a list of our favorite events and activities for families the week ahead to save you the research.
We update this page every Monday, so be sure to come back and see what we have coming up for this week & weekend.
Hello, 510 families! It’s my favorite food season and time to hit up our local farmers market this weekend to splurge on fresh, spring produce! What’s your favorite, local, farmers market? Let us know in the comments below, we’re updating our round-up real soon! Enjoy this week’s highlights- there’s something for everyone! Stay safe, stay strong, stay healthy.
Things to do in the East Bay with kids this week
MONDAY, MAY 3
- Take the gondola to the top of the Oakland Zoo and play at the recently reopened playground (Good luck getting tix, we hear it’s a bit of a bear!).
- The Bay Area Bookfest runs through May 9. Programs for kids — and you! — are virtual and totally free.
- Get kids excited about cooking in the kitchen with a virtual after-school cooking class. Vegetarian options are available.
TUESDAY, MAY 4
- Head outside and explore a new-to-you Oakland park.
- Go swimming at Alameda’s Crown Beach. It is open year-round. Check the water conditions before you go.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 5
- Join Sports Basement Yogi, Janet, for a free distance learning PE class for your kids using imagination, music, and games to create a fun and interactive class. Zoom password: basement
- Let your toddlers’ curiosity go wild at Bay Area Discovery Museum’s newly redesigned Tot Spot as they crawl, toddle, feel and hop their way through Bay and Forest-themed environments designed just for the littlest ones.
THURSDAY, MAY 6
- Change up your evening routine and enjoy live music, food, and drinks outside at Out Front at the UC Theater.
- Hang out virtually in Habitot’s Sippy Cup Social for ages 1-2.
FRIDAY, MAY 7
- The weather is warming up, head to some calm waters for family-friendly kayaking.
- Get in touch with nature and frolic in Redwood Regional Park.
SATURDAY, MAY 8
- Make your own takarabako (treasure-chest box) from a kid-friendly pattern and materials found at home in BAMPFA workshop.
- Pop into a virtual Baby & Me parent-child playgroup hosted by Our Family Coalition.
SUNDAY, MAY 9
- Happy Mother’s Day! 💐 If you need last-minute inspiration, check out the 510 Families’ Mother’s Day guide.
- In the spirit of women and mothers, learn how to save the world like a girl with the three phenomenal young women of Girl Warriors and East Bay mom and author, Rachel Sarah, (her new book is GIRL WARRIORS: How 25 Young Activists Are Saving the Earth) for a spirited look at how we can all be warriors for justice and a better world.
COVID-19 Coronavirus note: Alameda County and surrounding counties are now in the orange and red tiers. Please keep physical distance from those not in your party and wear face-covering masks.