We understand that planning your day during shelter-in-place can be a balancing act, because we’re right there with you. We’ve curated a list of the best events and activities for families the week ahead to save you the research.
We update this page every Monday, so be sure to come back and see what we have coming up for this week & weekend.
Hello, 510 families! Ahh December, the first month of winter and the last month of 2020. Let’s make the best of it! There is so much holiday goodness planned and yes it will surely feel different than any other year. But in the same vein, that’s what will also make it special. Enjoy this week’s highlights below.
Things to do in the East Bay with kids this week
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30
- Squeeze in a Santa visit before the December rush at Macy’s Court. (RSVP)
- Shop local, support small businesses and get creative with these holiday family craft projects.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1
- It’s Giving Tuesday. Poll your family and kids to see what causes they’re feeling passionate about, and include them in the donation process. If you’re donating money, I personally like to do research on Charity Navigator for informed donating.
- The Conservatory of Flowers is free every first Tuesday of the month, and always free for children under 4. Stroll, play, eat and smell the flowers in Golden Gate Park.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 2
- Hooray for Bay Area Discovery Museum free admission day! Bay Area residents can reserve tickets online.
- Switch things up, and head to Richmond to delight your littles by discovering the fairy villages.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 3
- December is officially the time to start writing letters to Santa. Heck, write more than one and drop them off at different Santa mailboxes throughout East Bay.
- Drive by after dusk, or walk the garden’s at Oakland’s Temple Hill. The Christmas lights and city views are very worth it.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 4
- Get cozy in your car because it’s a drive-in movie kinda night:
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 5
- Enjoy an audio performance of A Christmas Carol, paired with a festive activity book and family games from the comfort of your cozy home. (RSVP)
- Join the SF Symphony for a virtual Deck the Hall celebration with holiday music and audience sing-alongs.
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6
- It’s Sunday, so take the day off from cooking and support a local business by ordering takeout to feed your crew.
- Or do the complete opposite and kick your cooking up a notch with a Hanukkah cooking class.
- Pick up a crafting kit from the UC Botanical Garden and join an online class for families making seasonal decorations with botanical treasures. (RSVP)
COVID-19 Coronavirus note: Alameda County and surrounding counties are in a modified shelter in place order. Please keep physical distance from those not in your party and wear face-covering masks.