We understand that planning your day during shelter-in-place can be a balancing act. We’ve curated a list of the best events and activities for families the week ahead to save you the research.
We update this page every Monday, so be sure to come back and see what we have coming up for this week & weekend.
Hello, 510 families! My oldest kid is starting distance kindergarten in one week, and it’s all I can think about lately. Nature is where I turn to calm my mind, and fortunately there’s always a family adventure to be had outdoors. Whether it's gardening in our backyard, or hiking in our beautiful East Bay parks, we plan to head outside as much as possible in this last week of summer before school starts. Below are this week's hand-picked highlights. Play outside, wear masks, stay active and safe everyone!
Things to do in the East Bay with kids this week
MONDAY, AUGUST 3
- Celebrate Monday by singing and dancing with JAMaROO Kids. Try a free class!
- Take advantage of quiet weekday mornings, splash around and build a sandcastle at Keller Beach.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 4
- Infuse a bit of magic into your kiddo’s day with an at-home, interactive, treasure-hunting experience.
- Create a family portrait! If you need art supplies, Mocha has curated kits for sale.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5
- Check out El Cerrito Recreation’s fun, educational, and meaningful summer activities. We love the toddler/pre-K packets.
- Get creative and curious with live broadcasts and hands-on activities every Wednesday at the Virtual Purple Museum.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 6
- Discover the lesser-known aspects of the John Muir Land Trust parks and then head out for a family hike at one of their many locations in the East Bay.
- Mom, Dad, take a break and delegate dinner duties to the kids. Or cook dinner as a family! Or take a virtual family cooking class.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 7
- Check out the Presidio’s suggestions for getting kids outside, and working off tons of energy.
- Join the national conversation about essential library programs and resources hosted in Oakland: Listening to the Kids- Youth and Family-Centered Practices at OPL.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 8
- RSVP for Oakland-based Tuff Love Fitness online self-defense class for kids. There is a sliding-scale ticket fee, with proceeds supporting Tuff Love Fitness programs that help low-income, high-risk Bay Area communities gain access to self-defense and martial arts training.
- BADM reopens to members on August 8 and the public on August 22. Reserve your timed ticket for their outdoor exhibits.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 9
- Get your groove on with Berkeley’s live interactive online soul sanctuary dance.
- Whether your family is a biking expert or biking novice, there are plenty of trails to explore in the East Bay. Adventure to a new one this weekend!
COVID-19 Coronavirus note: Alameda County and surrounding counties are in a modified shelter in place order. Please keep physical distance from those not in your party and wear face-covering masks.