Monterey, Carmel-By-The-Sea, Pebble Beach, and Moss Landing offer miles and miles of California beaches (and overnight lodging that is following current safety guidelines.)
Looking for a short summer vacation? Monterey County welcomes you. We love that you can leave your house in Oakland at 9 am and be on a kayak by 11 am.
The water in this area is packed with otters and other sea life. Years ago, we stayed in Moss Landing and enjoyed a tour of Elkhorn Slough with a guide who showed us exactly where to look for wildlife. (More details on that pre-COVID weekend trip here >)
Things to Do With Kids In Monterey County
- The Monterey Zoo is open (with face coverings required)
- Carmel Beach, loved by kids and dogs, offers plenty of room for everyone
- Kayaking or Stand Up Paddleboarding, inherently socially distant activities are open for rentals
- Rent a Surrey (a 4-6-person family bicycle) to ride on the path
- Drive-In Movies are being shown at the Monterey County Fairground
- Visit the famous Mission Ranch Sheep and eat outdoors
Where to Stay near Monterey (Hotels and AirBnBs)
The Monterey Visitors Bureau sent us the following hotel recommendations. Please call to ask questions so that you don't get disappointed by things such as closed swimming pools or playgrounds. Note that the Monterey Bay Aquarium is NOT open.
- Cannery Row Company in Monterey, as well as Monterey Bay Inn, Spindrift Inn, Best Western Plus Victorian Inn, Wave Street Inn and Casa Munras Hotel & Spa, have been awarded the World Travel & Tourism Commission “Safe Travels” designation having met or exceeded all health and hygiene protocols outlined by the World Travel & Tourism Council. Cannery Row is the first tourism business on the Central Coat to receive this international designation.
- Carmel-by-the-Sea inns have committed to a Clean & Safe Pledge for the safety and health of guests, employees and the community.
- Many Monterey County hotels have been recognized by the California Hotel & Lodging Associations Clean + Safe Certified Program including Sanctuary Beach Resort, Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa and Stage Coach Lodge.
- Ventana Big Sur will reopen as an all-inclusive resort beginning July 15. A stay will include meals, signature activities and more.
AirBnBs near Monterey
As Airbnb Associates, we earn a commission when you book through these links.