Today we are introducing a beloved sponsor of 510Families.com, Black Pine Circle School, an independent school in Berkeley.
Black Pine Circle School, an award-winning K-8 private school in Berkeley, is the daytime home to 310 students who enjoy a diversity of inquiry-based learning experiences, all designed to support their journey towards independent thought and a lifelong love of learning.
Q Lab, the newest addition to the campus, provides a dedicated space for science and inquiry.
Downstairs is a maker space and workshop outfitted with with a laser cutter, three 3D printers, a bio printer, a variety of tools, and an open space that supports and inspires “creative chaos.” Upstairs, there is a fully-equipped, traditional natural science lab/classroom, featuring an outdoor “breakout space” for experimentation and differentiated instruction.
Five full-time science faculty, including a dedicated lower school science specialist with a Ph.D. in chemistry from UC Berkeley, provide science instruction. Designed for ages 5-14, every BPC student uses the Q Lab.
Black Pine Circle School was voted “The Best” in four categories in this year’s Parents’ Press awards:
- Best Independent Elementary School
- Best Alternative Learning Styles Elementary School
- Best Progressive Elementary School
- Best Independent Middle School.
I’ve been inside the school many times, and am always inspired by the projects on the wall. Not only is the students’ work impressive, but the assignments themselves are so thoughtful.
The principles of the school, articulated in their motto “CURIOSITY, COMMUNITY, INQUIRY, & VOICE”, are actualized through both strong academics and incorporation of visual and performing arts. Strings program (violin & cello) are offered beginning in kindergarten.
Every classroom uses the Socratic method to encourage tons of question-asking and to rally the students around the idea that there is always more to know. For a better explanation of what that means, watch the video in the How We Learn/How We Teach section of the BPC website.
Teachers at Black Pine Circle School are also committed to coaching children’s social-emotional development and fostering a community where students feel safe in their stages of development and individual differences. “I’ve been impressed by how much individual attention my daughter gets,” parent Erin McMahon told me. She agreed with the school’s stated promise, “We know your child, intellectually and emotionally.”
Black Pine Circle School is located on 7th Street, near Berkeley’s Fourth Street shops and the cafe mecca of University and San Pablo Avenues.
- For upcoming Info Session RSVPs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let Greta Wong know what date you’d like to visit from the following events:
- ADMISSIONS INFORMATION EVENTS
- Kindergarten: Saturday, November 5, 10 am – 12 pm
- Grades 6–8: Saturday, November 5, 1 pm – 3:30 pm
- Grades K–5: Saturday, December 3, 10 am – 12 pm
- Grades 6–8: Saturday, December 3, 1 pm – 3:30 pm
- To visit BPC while it’s in session, contact email@example.com and let Greta Wong know what date you’d like to visit, from 10/29 through 1/13
- K–5 tours: Tuesdays & Thursdays, October 27 – January 10, 9 am – 11 am
- 6–8 tours: Wednesdays & Fridays, November 2 – January 11, 9 am – 10:30 am
Thanks so much to Black Pine Circle School for sponsoring 510Families.com. To schedule a tour, request an admissions packet, and to learn more about the school, please call Greta B. Wong, Director of Admissions, at 510.529.2719 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.