I have this thing for hipster coffee shops. Something about the white subway tile, the Tolix chairs, the perfectly displayed vegan donuts. I just can't stay away. I'm all like “Take my four dollars for your perfectly crafted almond latte with your beautiful foam art.” Just take it.
Needless to say, we've frequented a lot of coffee shops with kids in tow, here are some of our favorites and why:
- Allegro inside Whole Foods Gilman: The space is huge, I can keep my toddler in a cart and buckled while I order, and there's a ton of healthy (and not-so-healthy) treat options for said toddler. On rainy days we like to get coffee and just stroll the aisles – Whole Foods is like a mall to me, I think we could stay there for hours. (Free WiFi)
- Artis on Fourth: Another spacious coffee shop. Grab a cup and walk Fourth Street – we like the toy store and watching for trains. Also, they have a frequent user program and randomly send you texts – “Next coffee is on us.”, “25% off your next drink.” What? Sign me up. Oh wait, I already am. (Free WiFi)
- Bartavelle on San Pablo: Their avocado toast is on point. And, it practically shares a space with Acme. Enough said.
- Blue Bottle near Jack London Square: Get your cup to go and stroll the Sunday Jack London Square Farmer's Market. Also, my toddler thinks their snickerdoodles are perfection.
- Casa Latina on San Pablo: The space is beautiful, the pastries are picture worthy, and we get to watch for buses out the huge windows. Have you tried their horchata-latte yet?
- Catahoula Coffee on Fourth (also in Richmond): Pick up a mexi-mocha on your way to Berkeley Aquatic Park. (Free WiFi)
- Farley's East in Uptown Oakland: Their Yelp Page mentions a kid-friendly play area upstairs, but we've always enjoyed sitting outside. They have a nice selection of magazines to read (for free) if you stay, or get your coffee to go and run around Lake Merritt.
- Fellini on University: Don't want to take your kids out of the car? Fellini is where it's at. Drive-up, order at the outside window, and keep a close eye on your kids. They are super fast too. We like to stop here on our way to Totland.
- Hal's Office on Solano: Old notary office turned coffee shop with the best neighbors possible – As You Wish Frozen Yogurt. Kids get ice cream, you get a latte with your ice cream. (Free WiFi)
- Highwire Coffee on San Pablo: They have a cute patio out back perfect for sharing a granola-yogurt bowl on a sunny day. (Free WiFi)
- Highwire Coffee Trailer on Solano: Order your coffee at the cute trailer, then sip and stroll Flowerland Nursery. Such a pretty, pretty place.
- Kaleidoscope Coffee in Point Richmond: In the heart of downtown – big space, comfy couches, big bright windows AND ice cream. Our boys were sold.
- Perch on Grand Avenue: Perfect for parents of little ones, find a back room just for kids! Your tot can make you a pretend machiato while you wait for your real one. (Free WiFi)
- Philz Coffee on Shattuck or Gilman: They don't have lattes, but their mint-mojitos almost make up for it. The one on Gilman is next door to Farm Burger. (Free WiFi)
- Timeless on Piedmont: It's all vegan – if you're into that sorta thing – and even if you're not, just go. The pastries are beautiful AND delicious. Walk through the Piedmont Cemetery after – it's not creepy, I promise.
Some other favorites – for no other reason than they just make good coffee – Rasa Caffe (try the rose latte) and Alchemy in South Berkeley. Or Townie on University (where you can get a cold brew float, what?).
Tell me, where are your favorites and why? I know I've missed many, there's practically a new one popping up every day. Not that I'm complaining or anything.
[All photos by Anna Azimi; map created by @Arvi1000]