Thanks those of you following on the 510Families Facebook page, we have curated a list of 10 kid-friendly restaurants with patios in Oakland. (See our list of Berkeley restaurants with the same criteria.) These are listed in no particular order.
- Bocanova in Jack London Square for brunch. Offers a view of the water and a nearby play structure for post-dining activity.
- Pasta Pomodoro in Rockridge for dinner. Uber casual and full of kid-centric pasta options. Kids eat free on Tuesdays as of this writing.
- Cupkate’s truck. Did you eat all your vegetables? Then track this mobile cupcake vendor down! Wednesday: Snow Park, Oakland, 11:30-2; Thursday: 12th & Broadway, Oakland, 11:30-2
- Homeroom. Fun school-themed restaurant with small outside seating section offers delicious comfort food meals. The side dish of peas is my fave. Located on a busy street (40th), sitting outside at Homeroom is not for kids who need to get out of their seats during the meal.
- Barney’s Burgers. Both Piedmont and College Avenue location offer outdoor seating that is more pleasant than the patio at the Shattuck location due to quieter garden-style backyards.
- Pizziaolo in Temescal. Best known for wood-fired pizza, and loved for date night, Pizzaiolo welcomes kids and has a backyard seating area that is quite lovely. Try it out for morning coffee on a weekday – the place is packed with laptopping folks and strollers.
- Crepevine on College. Breakfast for dinner! Or for breakfast. Crepevine’s enclosed patio is perfect for squirmy kids with syrup on their fingers. I was traumatized by an early public breastfeeding experience at this location, but I’ve worked through it.
- Restaurante Doña Tomas. Another date night favorite, Dona Tomas has delicious margaritas and a large backyard. Wait, we’re talking about kids. Better for weekend brunch if you’re with the family.
- Arizmendi Bakery. Pick up a pizza, eat some of it outside and take the rest home!
- All the food trucks. Friday nights you’ll find a festive food truck gathering at the Oakland Museum (Off the Grid) and it looks like Bites on Broadway will be returning at some point.
photos: Homeroom, courtesy Google Maps; Pasta Pomodoro, Whitney Moss
What did we miss?