Open as of June 5, 2023. We are big fans of driving through the tunnel to the public pools in various East Bay cities, due to warmer temperatures characteristic of the 925 area code. (See also: Antioch’s Water Park)
Clarke Memorial Swim Center in Walnut Creek is adjacent to the popular Heather Farm Park and Playground, and the staff puts gigantic inflatables in the pool starting in June.
Clarke Memorial Swim Center offers recreational swimming from 1 pm to 4 pm on weekdays and noon to 5 pm on weekends starting June 5 and going through September 3, 2023.
Clarke Memorial Swim Center in Walnut Creek: Inflatables
We visited this Heather Farm pool a few times last summer and my kids entertained themselves by racing and having me time them going end-to-end on the inflatable obstacle courses. There isn’t a height limit on the use of inflatables, but it does require strength, coordination, and courage. The scale of these things is massive. Even my 10-year-old hesitated on his first journey across.
One of the obstacle courses is in a section of the lap pool (pictured above) and is more manageable for a younger child though an adult can also do it. A 5-year-old might crawl under the obstacles that I would step over. The more extreme course is in the “diving well”, aka the deep pool (pictured first). Both courses require jumping into the water and swimming to the edge of the pool at the end.
The two obstacle courses are separated in different swimming pools. The larger one is further away from the locker rooms and lap pool near the diving board. The smaller (longer) course is right in the mix and can’t be mixed.
Clarke Swim Center for younger kids
This swim center also features a wading area for pre-swimmers and a diving board from which to jump into the deep water, no wristband is required.
Kids must be competent swimmers to navigate and slide off the obstacle course. Lifeguards are happy to administer a swim test if you want them to.
Planning your visit
- The price of admission is $7 for adults; $6 for kids 7-17; and $5 for kids under 7. Non-swimmers will pay entrance fees, too.
- The inflatables are available from 1 pm to 4 pm on weekdays, noon – 5 pm on weekends.
- Pay $2 extra to get a “Splash Pass” wristband which allows access to the two inflatables. A waiver must be signed at that time.
- There is a grassy patch with shade to set up towels and chairs.
- Don’t miss my pictures of the playground, as you can visit both in one day, but bring your own lunch because this suburban park is not within walking distance to very much: Heather Farm All-Ability Playground.
- Website for updated hours and planned closings >
Clarke Memorial Swim Center is located at 1750 Heather Drive in Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek.