I’m a big fan of the Lawrence Hall of Science, and science museums in general, but is the price of membership really worth it? I wanted to evaluate what’s included and excluded in the membership dues and compare it to how many times my family would need to attend to break even.
Perks of membership:
- Admission for one year
- Discounts and priority registration for LHS classes, workshops and camps
- Invitations to members-only openings and family events
- 10% Discount at the LHS Discovery Store
- Discounts on LHS children’s birthday parties
- Free or reduced admission to more than 300 ASTC science centers and museums worldwide! (reciprocal membership is one of my favorite reasons for joining a museum)
At the basic level, you get all of the above perks. For some reason, we got the “family plus” membership (so we could bring along visiting grandparents), so our membership includes a few more goodies:
- Up to four personalized member cards
- Two additional guests anytime
- Two one-day parking passes
- Four LHS Planetarium passes
- Free or reduced admission to over 130 children’s museums through the Association of Children’s Museums Reciprocal Network! (the upgraded membership gives FREE admission to the Bay Area Discovery Museum)
($97 of this is tax-deductible)
What membership doesn’t get you:
- Free classes, camps, parties, workshops
- Free parking all the time
The break-even point:
Regular admission costs $12.00 Adults (ages 19–61), $9.00 Student/Senior/Disabled (ages 7–18; 62 plus), and $6.00 Children (ages 3-6; children under 3 are admitted FREE). Our fancy membership cost $125. We would need to visit the museum somewhere between 3 and 4 times in a year (excluding parking).
When it’s not worth it:
Membership might not be a great idea if you have a best friend with fancy membership since they can invite guests for free. Other times when you might want to skip it: you have a young toddler (who’s already FREE), you have a membership to another reciprocal museum, or you’re just not that into awesome science.
[Photos by me; rate information updated 12/1/12]