There are two ways to celebrate Mother’s Day on May 8th: with your kids or without them. Here are a selection of ideas for both. This year, our Mother's Day Guide is sponsored by Brushstrokes Studios in Berkeley.
With kids or without? At Brushstrokes you can do either, or both. The upstairs studio is reserved for moms only for the whole afternoon of May 8, from 1:00-6:00 pm with bubbly, treats and tea. Come enjoy the zen of painting in our beautiful upstairs loft. Bring a friend or come solo for some “me time”. Meanwhile, the downstairs studio is available all day from 11 am – 6 pm if you prefer to spend the day with your child or children or with the whole family. No reservations required.
Here are some other fun ideas to celebrate Mother's Day:
Make something for mom.
- Paint some kiddo handprints on a lovely keepsake mug. My family has a few of these and I tell my husband that every year, he only needs to fill it with chocolate (but like really good chocolate like Barlovento or Michael Mischer!) .
- Book a photography session with a local family photographer. Surprise mom and grandma with the best framed prints.
- Saturday morning, April 30 @ Lakeshore Learning in San Leandro has little kids crafts, the project is a foam flower bouquet that might work for your preschooler.
- Saturday morning, May 7 @ Lakeshore Learning in San Leandro has kids crafts in the form of a Mother's Day Card.
Do something together.
- Hike. Early risers can take advantage of their jump start on the day with a family-friendly hike toward the gorgeous views of the Bay with a pancake breakfast in Marin.
- Explore Tilden Park, Lake Merritt Garden, or the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.
- Skateboard. Active moms might want to strap on their helmets for a free introduction to skateboarding for kids and parents.
- Dance. Find and shake your groove thing at the Soul Sanctuary free dance.
- Tea. The UC Berkeley Botanical Garden is combining a breakfast tea event with a hands-on herbal activity. Mom will take home a personalized collection of teas and an herb for the garden.
Brunch. As I was trying to dig a little deeper on where to send you for the best meal of the day, I noticed the Berkeleyside Nosh reader poll of 2016 best brunch picks closely matches my own favorites. You could also go to Thailand for a special brunch there.
Lunch. OpenTable has a list of East Bay restaurants with special menus and options for Mother's Day. If you'd rather expand your search toward the City than through the tunnel, hit the checkbox for San Francisco and see the list grow.
Night out. UrbanSitter.com has gift cards (Hooray for a gift that goes with everything else).
Mini spa treatment. More than one East Bay mom has named Joie Nail Spa as her favorite indulgence.
Learn & play. Brushstrokes is offering classes in Mindfulness + Drawing, Mosaics, Botanical Watercolor and more. I'd love to try a class at the Handcraft Studio School that Whitney loved so much.
Tickets. Find some deals for upcoming shows and tie the tickets up with a ribbon.
Share the love. For the woman who doesn't need anything, make a donation to local non-profit Help A Mother Out, raising funds to provide diapers to moms in need. (Did you know that diapers cannot be purchased with WIC funds/food stamps?)
Thanks to Brushstrokes for sponsoring this guide. You can purchase a Brushstrokes art class for Mom online. Brushstrokes is located at 745 Page Street, near the Fourth Street Shopping District in Berkeley.