This year, our Mother's Day Guide is sponsored by the Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel. This iconic urban resort is home to stunning guest rooms, award-winning restaurants, views to impress Grandma, the Fairmont Spa and a sprawling tennis, swimming and fitness club with fun for the whole family.
Mother’s Day is May 13th and there are as many ways to celebrate moms as there are moms in the world. We hope you can find just the right way to say, “Hey mama, thanks for all you put up with while raising me to be a decent human.” Here is a selection of ideas to get you started.
Afternoon Tea. Take in the breathtaking views and create lasting memories with your family at Claremont’s lovely Afternoon Tea. Enjoy a selection of your favorites teas, sparkling wine, and sweet and savory bites from the Claremont pastry kitchen Saturday, May 12 and Sunday, May 13, from 1 to 4 pm. Pinkies up!
Outdoor adventure. There are dozens of ways to play outside with your family. Pick your favorite hike or outing and force the kids into a gentle “No whining, it is Mother's Day” agreement. Choose a place outside for bigger kids or little ones.
Do something together. Here's what's happening on Sunday, May 13
- 9:00 am - 1:00 pm Montclair Village Sunday Farmers' Market at Montclair Village
- 9:30 am Mariela's Bilingual Storytime at La Peña Cultural Center
- 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Alameda Spring Festival! at Park Street, Alameda
- 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Celebrate Mother's Day @ Exploratorium (FREE) at Exploratorium
- 10:00 am Free Train Ride for Mom @ Oakland Zoo! at Oakland Zoo
- 10:00 am - 3:00 pm Jack London Square Farmers' Market at Jack London Square
- 10:00 am - 11:30 am Kindergym Sunday PlayDay with Dawn for Under 3s at Temple Beth Abraham
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm Sing, dance & PLAY! at Bay Area Children's Theatre Oakland (BACT)
- 10:15 am Mariela's Dance and Music at La Peña Cultural Center
- 11:00 am - 3:00 pm Mother's Day Brunch @ Ardenwood at Ardenwood Historic Farm
- 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm Mother's Day @ Sienna Ranch at Sienna Ranch
- 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm Water Park & Slide at East Oakland Sports Center
- 2:00 pm ILLUMINATED CIRCUS at Kinetic Arts Center at Kinetic Arts Center
- 2:30 pm - 6:00 pm Salsa Sundays at Bay Street at Bay Street
- 3:15 pm - 5:15 pm Ice Skating - Bucket Session at Oakland Ice Center
- 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm Diverse Families Kindergym PlayDay for Under 3s at Temple Beth Abraham
Brunch. Is this the year for an unforgettable brunch? Reserve your spot at the Claremont's Meritage dining room Sunday, May 13th from 10am to 4pm. Executive Chef Arwi Odense’s festive buffet menu features seasonal ingredients, decadent desserts, and a children’s buffet. Brunch also includes bottomless mimosas for guests 21 and older. Cost is $149 (kids 12 & under $69)
Other options for my favorite meal of the day? I noticed the Berkeleyside Nosh round-up of (510) brunch spots includes some of my own picks. You could also go to Thailand (locally!) for a special brunch there.
Lunch. OpenTable has a list of East Bay restaurants with special menus and options for Mother's Day. If you'd rather expand your search toward the City than through the tunnel, hit the checkbox for San Francisco and see the list grow. This list did not include my faves, but I can't be everywhere!
Dinner. Dinner out will ensure Mom doesn't have to cook or clean up on her special day. Special shout out to Limewood Bar & Restaurant: Make your reservations now at Limewood, Claremont’s award-winning restaurant, and enjoy approachable California cuisine and a stunning sunset over the San Francisco Bay.
Kid craft projects. Made with love and their own messy handwriting, these cute craft sessions are happening before mom's special day: birdhouse at UC Botanical Garden, shrinky dink jewelry, or a photo frame at Lakeshore Learning.
Paint some kiddo handprints on a lovely keepsake mug at Brushstrokes in Berkeley or Color Me Mine in Alameda. My family has a few of these and I tell my husband that every year, he only needs to fill it with chocolate (but like really good chocolate!)
Book a photography session with a local family photographer. Surprise mom and grandma with the best framed prints.
Night out. UrbanSitter.com has gift cards (Hooray for a gift that goes with everything else).
Deluxe spa treatment. Treat mom to an unforgettable Mother’s Day with a day of pampering at the Fairmont Spa at the Claremont. The award-winning spa is open daily and offers a full menu of massages, facials and body treatments.
Learn & play. Get Mama signed up for an evening class such as Mindfulness + Drawing, Mosaics, or Botanical Watercolor at Brushstrokes Studio. Further north is Handcraft Studio School with evening and weekend workshops. Or, commit to a hotter kitchen with a class from Kitchen on Fire.
Tickets. Find some deals for upcoming shows and tie the tickets up with a ribbon.
Share the love. For the woman who doesn't need anything, make a donation to local non-profit Help A Mother Out, raising funds to provide diapers to moms in need. (Did you know that diapers cannot be purchased with WIC funds/food stamps?)
Thanks to the Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel for sponsoring this guide. Ideally nestled in the Oakland Hills overlooking scenic San Francisco Bay, Claremont is the perfect destination for an afternoon getaway or a Bay Area staycation.