We're so happy to share this guide for parents of fun things to do in the family-friendly Oakland neighborhoods of Rockridge and Temescal.
- BART. Take the BART anywhere! One of our kids' favorite attractions is a pretty cheap date. (Try Orinda — it's only one stop from Rockridge.)
- Picnic at Frog Park. Grab Fresh food at Market Hall and take a hike to Frog Park for a picnic. There's a creek for exploring and a doggie park for extra entertainment.
- Rockridge Library. Of course you can get books and movies here, but the children's events and story time make a great outing even better. The children's book section is great place for kids to lounge, pick books, and see friends
- Smitten Ice Cream. The ice cream is made to order right in front of you and a food snob's dream. If you find that your child's palate is more suited to bubblegum, head across the street for a cone at Dreyer's.
- Pizzaiolo. Enjoy breakfast pastries or dinnertime wood fired pizza with an outdoor Bocce court. Walk down to It's Your Move for fun and games afterward. Keep walking for a deluxe gourmet donut at Doughnut Dolly in Temescal Alley.
- Claremont Farmers Market. On Sunday’s from 10am to 1pm, this farmers market is a great one for the whole family: live music, lots of treats, a chance to explore the creek, and all those tasty fruits and veggies. (Near enough to Frog Park for another visit)
- Comfort food. Visit Bakesale Betty in Temescal for a “blue hair” lunchtime experience and the best fried chicken around or enjoy the best gourmet Mac and Cheese at kid friendly Home Room restaurant (Skip the lines and try Homeroom To Go!).
- Climb the secret stairs. Right off of Rockridge Blvd, discover the City of Oakland's older stairs between streets; see how far you can climb up the hills.
- Ice Cream Tour. We love the ice cream goodies in Rockridge enough to take a kid-friendly ice cream tour with the people at Rockridge Food Tour on Sundays.
For more mature taste buds, they also offer a Historic Neighborhood Heritage walking tour, too.
- Beach time. Take a dip in Oakland's vibrant Lake Temescal or play chase on the many paths.
- Make a lemonade stand. Rockridge kids can take advantage of the abundance of foot traffic in the form of thirsty commuters around BART.
- Temescal Pool. Swim laps, take lessons, or just soak up the sun at this public pool in Oakland.
- Zachary's famous pizza. Eat the famous stuffed pizza (come at non-peak hours or grab a half-baked to beat the crowds) and head to See's Candy across the street for dessert
- Bites off Broadway. Friday nights, Temescal at 45th Street comes alive with food trucks and neighborly fun.
- Trader Joe’s. Did you know this grocery store hides a stuffed monkey in a different place every day? Find the monkey and get a lollipop!
Pasta Pomodoro. This casual Italian place has two great features for families: outside patio for[Closed Christmas, 2016] noiseambiance and a kids-eat-free promotion on Tuesdays.
- Powell's Candy Shop. Your mind will be blown when you first enter this classic candy shoppe. Whether you opt for the gelato, candy from your childhood, or modern day sweets, you will leave smiling. You can give kids a list for a treasure hunt of classic candies.
- Fire Station Tour. Most fire stations are happy to give tours to small people. Follow our tips on organizing a fire station tour at one of the stations in Temescal or Rockridge
- Claremont Hotel. For a big splurge, check in to this grand, historic hotel for the night and use the pool, spa and gym. Memberships and day passes are also available.
- Mini burritos and more. Eat at Cactus for good Mexican food at good prices right under the BART tracks.
- Sushi boats. Sidle up to the sushi bar at Takara for a feast for children who like to really ponder their decisions.
- Tennis anyone? Play tennis on the public courts behind Chabot Elementary, then head to the playground for the play structures.
- Take a class. Music and movement classes are offered for kids at Musically Minded, Flying Studios, and Shawl-Anderson (in Elmwood). Stop in for a workshop or performance.
Toast at Toast. Toast Kitchen + Bar. is a beautiful Rockridge space with room for a crowd and welcoming to families. (I'll drink to that.)
- Party in the streets. Rockridge and Temescal are known for their neighborhood block parties as well as annual street fairs, Rockridge Out and About and Temescal Street Fair. Expect to find a Kids' Zone among all the other attractions from local businesses.