Welcome to the shortest month, which is short on school days, too. (Note that Presidents Weekend is observed from Friday, February 13 to Monday, February 16, and many schools have President’s Week!) Here are 28 activities to pencil into your calendar, one for each day of the month:
F E B R U A R Y
- Try sushi with the kids, on boats that float by your table.
Go check out Kid2Kid toy exchange on Alcatraz.Update: these guys are no longer supporting their toy-trade in business.
- At-home parents should check out Breakfast With Enzo, a music circle time at Sports Basement in Berkeley, Tuesdays at 10 am. (Breakfast not included.)
- The Bay Area Discovery Museum offers free admission the first Wednesday of the month. That’s the Fourth of February!
- Let your children swing and bounce their heads off at We Rock the Spectrum in Berkeley. Open til 6 pm to make your afternoon outing worthwhile.
- Drop-in rockin’ music time at La Pena Cultural Center on Shattuck starts at 10:30 am.
- Build a heart-shaped box at a free Home Depot workshop on Saturday morning, or sign your tween up for a Valentine workshop at Berkeley’s Paper Source store.
- Family Sweetheart Dance from 3-5 PM at the El Cerrito Community Center
- Habitot invites children with special needs to a Valentine PlayDate.
- Attend an annual Valentine’s making party at Rockridge Library
- Free Jamaica-themed Black History activity at Bananas in Oakland
- Explore the hidden stairways of Berkeley with one of the Berkeley Wanderers walks.
- Make a snow globe in a free craft session at Oakland’s Dimond Branch library
- Parents who have more energy in the daytime for dates can drop their kids at James Kinney for a few hours. Register online for this Valentine’s Day Parents’ Day Out. If you want evening, Bladium has Kid’s Night Out tonight.
- Let everyone stay up late for a drive-in movie. After all, it’s not a school night
- Bounce to the ceiling (not really!) at Sky High in Concord.
- Still no school? Visit the Children’s Museum in San Jose and catch up with your Silicon Valley friends.
- Plan a meet up at Codornices park and bring cardboard for the cement slides
- From 6-7:30 PM, an African American history celebration for all ages will be hosted at the Frances Albrier rec center in San Pablo Park.
- Don’t miss Fourth Street’s Lunar New Year celebration on the 21st. It’s a great show.
- Older kids may enjoy the Monster Truck show, Monster Jam, at the Oakland Coliseum.
- Parents with new babies should stop by BoobiePalooza in Berkeley. We’ll be there!
- Play miniature golf at SubPar mini golf in Alameda or GolfLand in Castro Valley.
- Kids eat free on Tuesdays at IKEA. See our list of other reasons it’s fun to go there.
- The Berkeley Forest School preschool-age classes welcome families to try one class, filled with magical exploration in Tilden Park, and then consider a session.
- You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown is playing at the Berkeley Playhouse
- Take advantage of MOCHA’s open studio time, Fridays and Saturdays from 10-1.
- Get crafty at the Michael’s drop in art class for kids. Cost $2 and kids take home a project. Today? A tissue paper frame.