I’m including phone numbers because many stores do not stock rain boots year-round. Call ahead to be sure.
1) Grove Street Kids – A resale shop in Berkeley’s Gourmet Ghetto with well-merchandised used clothing. You’ll save big money if you find the right size for your child. Someone on the phone is usually willing to check inventory for you.
2) Hannah’s – This kids resale shop on Solano Ave is a great place to look for new and used rain boots, rain jackets and umbrellas. Bring your kids outgrown gear, and swap for credit towards your new purchase. Call ahead to see if she has any rain boots in the size you need.
3) Habitot Children’s Museum Shop – In Downtown Berkeley, Habitot sells toys and good for children, including rain gear, in their gift shop, and all proceeds support this fabulous children’s museum. A complicated voice mail system makes it hard to find someone to ask about availability.
4) Costco – Carries Western Chief brand of rain gear. But don’t bother trying to get someone on the phone to confirm.
5) Silver Moon – This well-loved neighborhood kid store in the Lake Merritt area is also in the buy, sell, trade game, and has a big shoe selection.
6) Ruby’s Garden – Selling jackets by Hatley (pictured above) and Magnificent Baby, and rainboots by Hatley, Toms and Mini Melissa, this Temescal shop has a selection of new and gently used rain items. They also sell Hatley and Schilling umbrellas. Boots start at 2T and go up to size 8.