April is filled with several special days to celebrate with family, including Passover, Easter, and Earth Day. There is also plenty of sunny, warm weather and activities to enjoy the great outdoors! If you’re staying in the East Bay for spring break, plan for lots of fun at museums, farms, storytimes, and more.
This post of April’s best activities for families is sponsored by Los Vaqueros Reservoir, a recreational reservoir in Livermore with boating, hiking, and fishing.
Ticket Alert: Make Your Reservations Now!
- Experience a truly unique activity: Easter Trains in Sacramento or Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Reserve a space at Kid’s Night Out so YOU can enjoy a child-free date night.
- Discover family-friendly shows and ticketed events to know about for families >
- Find a last-minute space in spring break camp for your kid. Don’t forget about summer camp >
Week of Saturday, April 1
Week of Monday, April 3
4/3: Snag a free ice cream cone from Ben and Jerry’s.
4/4: Discover trees and insects on a tot-friendly hike through Cull Canyon.
4/5: Passover begins at sundown; Find family-friendly Passover events >
4/6: Zoom down the concrete slide at Codornices Park in the Berkeley Hills.
4/7: Grab dinner at Off the Grid at OMCA, plus groove to music in the OMCA gardens.
4/8: There are loads of community egg hunts and bunny photo ops today. Reserve a space in advance.
4/9: Happy Easter. Enjoy a family bike ride in Alameda.
Week of Monday, April 10
4/10: Move and sing during Baby Music & Movement Storytime in Richmond.
4/11: Visit wildlife at a sweet nature center in Hayward.
4/12: Plan a mid-week outing to mini golf. See our roundup of top courses >
4/13: Enjoy a relaxing day filled with kites at the park.
4/14: Get creative with MOCHA art workshop in the library.
4/15: Take part in a community favorite: Eggster, a springtime egg hunt & learning fair at Cal.
4/16: Mosey down to Solano Avenue for a mile-long family-friendly event–Stoll-ish Spring.
Week of Monday, April 17
4/17: Play with all the toys during Together Wee Play in Berkeley. It’s drop-in friendly!
4/18: Look for hidden troll statues along the Bridgeview Troll Trail in Oakland.
4/19: Get outside with Tilden Tots Drop-In Nature Group.
4/20: Search for colors, blooms, or animals in one of the East Bay’s beautiful gardens.
4/21: Head to English-Spanish storytime in Alameda with your little one.
4/22: Celebrate Earth Day: stomp in a creek or paint with twigs at Big Art Weekend.
4/23: Rent a pontoon boat or electric motor boat at Los Vaqueros Reservoir for an outdoor family outing. Bring lunch and a blanket to spread out afterward.
Families visiting Livermore’s Los Vaqueros Reservoir can enjoy a range of recreational activities and natural beauty such as:
- Fishing: The reservoir is regularly stocked with fish, making it an ideal location for anglers of all skill levels. Look for largemouth bass, striped bass, trout, and catfish.
- Hiking: With over 50 miles of trails that wind through scenic hills and valleys, find stunning views of the surrounding landscape. Always be prepared and carry water.
- Wildlife viewing: Los Vaqueros Reservoir is a wildlife sanctuary home to many birds, mammals, and reptiles. Spot bald eagles, ospreys, coyotes, and even mountain lions in their natural habitat!
Week of Monday, April 24
4/24: Spend a morning at Tilden Park feeding goats, chickens, and pigs.
4/25: Climb the vertical playground in Emeryville; open to the public on weekdays after 6 pm.
4/26: Bounce around at Open Jump.
4/27: Jump across the stepping stones at Lincoln Park in Alameda’s East End.
4/28: Borrow tools for self-led discovery in The Lawrence’s Outdoor Nature Lab.
4/29: Cheer for the home team at an Oakland Roots soccer game.
4/30: Be amazed by an expansive model train display in Point Richmond.
We appreciate Los Vaqueros Reservoir for sponsoring our April list of great activities for families.