This year's April will be very different from the past years as we shelter in place to flatten the curve of COVID-19 spread. We put together fun, family activities you can enjoy in the comfort of your home.
- April Fools! Play gentle pranks on your kids. Ideas via Buzzfeed >
- Hug a giant bowl of popcorn and watch Onward (streaming now or see on Disney+ 4/3)
- Spot adorable teddy bears looking at you walking by as part of the Oakland/Berkeley Bear Hunt.
- Picnic in your backyard for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Pick a new activity to do at home with toddlers from items you have in the house.
- Print a scavenger hunt and discover ordinary things in a new way.
- Become a scientist for a day and experiment and discover something amazing.
- Ride scooters to get some speed around the block.
- Stretch together for family yoga.
- Visit a museum for a virtual tour:
- Make a colorful volcano out of vinegar, dish soap, food coloring, and baking soda.
- Look for houses with rainbows on their windows/sidewalk on your walk.
- Dance and sing with Alphabet Rockers.
- Join for a celebrity storytime with lots of kids' stories read by different actors.
- Hike behind the Oakland Zoo. Did you know there are paths and fields around Knowland Park's zoo area? Keep your eyes open and you'll see the Zoo's bears and other wonderful creatures on the other side of the fence.
- Watch adorable animals roam around the human-free zoo @sanfranciscozoo Instagram and via life cam at Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Workout with your kids led by Joe Wicks, a fitness guru from the UK.
- Create and learn with Imagineering in a Box, interactive lessons in theme park design, animation, and engineering, created by Disney and Kahn Academy (best for kids 11+).
- Bake your favorite cookies or cupcakes. Look at that, we're learning math!
- Go out and search for May flowers. Where to play outside with your kids >
Ideas for Celebrating Easter at home
- Easter egg hunt in the house or backyard (or both!) with good eggs filled with treats and bad eggs filled with jokes (or chore to-dos).
- Easter egg dying with toddlers.
- Make sock bunnies.
- Cut out bunny ears and tape them onto stuffies for a “bunny” parade.
- Download free Easter-themed coloring pages.
Ideas for Celebrating Passover at home
- Read our Family-friendly Passover guide for lots more ideas!
- Sing Passover songs with Isaac Zones.
- Make your own Seder plate.
- Get inspired by Passover story activities on @withlovefromima Instagram
- Recreate Moses and his people fleeing through the parting Red Sea scene with LEGO people.
Wash, wash, wash your hands often! Stay home and stay safe everyone. Tips on COVID-19 with kids >