This week we received an update from Jennifer Subacic-Marks who facilitates new mom support groups in Oakland and Berkeley. Here are the details she shared:
The groups at Alta Bates take place every Thursday (barring holidays). These are drop-in groups and are free the first session and then $10 drop in after that. Parents can also purchase a pass that is $45 for 5 sessions, which can be used for the Breastfeeding Support Groups as well. We also offer a low cost option for families that need it – $25 for 6 sessions and they can just request this option. The groups meet at the hospital in the new Family Resource Center Conference Room
I continue to offer support groups for first-time moms that are divided by geographic area to help moms who live near each other connect. I also offer a 2nd time moms support group that is for all East Bay moms. You can find out more about these groups and interested moms can also register at the website:
www.supportgroupformothers.com These groups provide an opportunity for longterm connection and support which is critical as we embrace on our mothering adventures!
Feel free to call Jennifer at 510-604-3301 to ask questions. The “Berkeley” group meets on San Pablo Avenue in Albany and the Oakland groups meet near Lake Merritt. Her next groups are as follows:
- Berkeley area 1st Time Moms Group Tuesdays Starting 3/20/2012 – 11:30 – 1:30
- Oakland area 1st Time Moms Group Mondays Starting 3/19/2012 – 11:30 – 1:30
- 2nd Time Moms Support Group (All East Bay) Wednesdays 3/28/2012 – 10 am – 12 pm
- Oakland area 1st Time Moms Group Mondays Starting 5/14/2012 – 11:30 – 1:30
- Berkeley area 1st Time Moms Group Tuesdays Starting 5/15/2012 – 11:30 – 1:30
- 2nd Time Moms Support Group (All East Bay) Wednesdays 6/20/2012 – 10 am – 12 pm
Heather and I both participated in these groups when our children were born. Most participants start when babies are between 2 and 16 weeks. I always said that if I even meet one person who I really like who has a same-aged baby as me, it would be worthwhile. Seven years later, my group (pictured) is still in contact.It was certainly worthwhile!
(Related post: 2011 round up of mom’s group options for the East Bay.)