India’s most celebrated holiday, DIWALI, is on Monday, October 24th of this year.
Diwali, commonly referred to as the Festival of Lights, is a five-day annual event commemorating the triumph of good over evil, and light over darkness. In essence – it is a celebration of new beginnings.
Families celebrate Diwali in their own fashion while keeping its historical significance close to heart. Common forms of celebration include lighting diyas (clay lamps), rangoli (floor decorations with colored powder, rice, and flowers), fireworks, family gatherings, exchanging of gifts and well wishes, and plenty of food and sweets.
However you choose to celebrate or learn about Diwali this year, cheers to a new beginning!
Diwali Events for Families
2022 Bay Area Diwali Festival, Cupertino
When: Saturday, October 8 (11 am-6 pm)
Where: Memorial Park, 21121 Stevens Creek Blvd., Cupertino
What’s great for families: In its 19th year of celebrating Diwali, this event will feature a feast of food that appeals to all senses, cultural activities that include performances and rangoli display, arts & crafts booth, and a kids zone.
Ticket Information >
Diwali Fireworks Bay Area, Pleasanton
When: Saturday, October 15, 2022 (noon-11 pm)
Where: Alameda County Fairgrounds, 4501 Pleasanton Avenue, Pleasanton
What’s great for families: At just $3, families get an entire day of food and fun that ends with a display of fireworks at this AIA-hosted event. The Kids Zone attraction features pony rides, train rides, a petting zoo, and face painting.
View complete event details >
Festival of India & Diwali Mela, Fremont
When: Saturday, October 15, 2022 (10 am-7 pm)
Where: Mission San José High School, 41717 Palm Avenue, Fremont
What’s great for families: Festival of Globe (FOG) is celebrating Diwali in the heart of Fremont with arts & crafts, a kids zone, performances, and a fashion show. FREE admission and parking for this event!
Find out more on Facebook >
Diwali Festival, Sunnyvale
When: Saturday, October 15 (10 am-5 pm)
Where: Sunnyvale Community Center, 550 E Remington Dr, Sunnyvale
What’s great for families: South Asian Cultural Association of Sunnyvale (SACAS) is hosting a FREE family event that features diya lighting, dances, food trucks, a kids zone, henna, and much more.
Learn more >
Diwali: Festival of Lights, San Jose
When: Saturday, October 22, 2022 (9:30 am-12:30 pm & 1:30-4:30 pm)
Where: Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose, 180 Woz Way, San Jose
What’s great for families: Learn about the grand traditions of Diwali with dance, music, and activities that bring the Festival of Lights to life. As part of the museum’s Cultural Celebration Series, it is included with Museum admission. Members do not need to purchase tickets in advance.
Find out more >
City Center Bishop Ranch Diwali Celebration, San Ramon
When: Sunday, October 23, 2022 (2 -4 pm)
Where: City Center Bishop Ranch, 6000 Bollinger Canyon Rd, Suite 2650, San Ramon (event located in Alexander Square)
What’s great for families: This Diwali celebration will feature live music and Bollywood dances, henna tattoos, and a rangoli art experience all amidst the City Center full of shops and dining for after the event.
Learn more >
Diwali: The Festival of Lights with Non-Stop Bhangra, Alameda
When: Saturday, November 19 (5 -7:30 pm)
Where: 2513 Blanding Avenue, Alameda
What’s great for families: This one-of-a-kind, highly energetic celebration by Rhythmix Cultural Works features an evening of dance lessons, a live DJ, henna, a photo booth, food, drinks, arts & crafts for kids, and so much more. Before the event, practice your dancing and bhangra!
Ticket & Event Information >
Crafts and Art at Home
In addition to Bay Area Diwali events, kids can enjoy creative ways to decorate and honor Diwali right at home.
- Make your own rangoli powder and use stencils to create designs.
- Print out Diwali coloring sheets.
- Completed this Diwali art video tutorial for kids to hang up at home.
- Make these very cute paper diyas.
- Hang lights and decorate.
- No celebration is complete without traditional Diwali sweets and snacks.
Diwali Food and Sweets
Eating is always the best part of any holiday, amiright!? Here are our favorite places to shop for Diwali and grab your favorite Indian cuisine.
Favorite Diwali Grocery Stops
- Viks Chaat (Berkeley): Vik’s is the one-stop-shop to grab a delectable lunch or dinner while picking up your Indian groceries. They also have a nice selection of Diwali gifts and, of course, sweets! The gulab jamun here is our favorite!
- Bombay Spice House (Berkeley): Pick up all your groceries, shop for Diwali, and grab some samosas to-go.
- Milan Sweet Center (Milpitas): If you’re going to venture out of the 510, this is the place to go! You can choose from an array of sweets and indulge in one-of-a-kind vegetarian food options. You will be hooked!
Favorite Indian Cuisines
When we’re not cooking at home, we like these places for delicious Indian food around the East Bay.
- Annapurna (Oakland): an Oakland staple of Nepalese & Indian classics.
- Udupi Palace (Berkeley): the idli sambar is one of the best in the East Bay.
- Namaste Madras Cuisine (Berkeley): if you need your dosa fix, this is the place.
- India Palace (Alameda): flavorful curries with meat or vegetarian dishes.
- Chaat Bhavan (Fremont): choose from a variety of tasty Indian street food.
- India Garden (Pleasanton): an abundance of delicious flavors and selections.
- Amber (San Francisco): if you’re really looking to feel fancy for the night!
Navratri events for families
This time of year also includes festivities encompassing Diwali that celebrate good over evil; the nine nights of Navratri is the most renowned. This year there are plenty of events to join the circle (literally) of dance, live music, prayer, colorful attire, and social gathering while honoring the powerful goddess Durga.
Navratri 2022 officially begins on Monday, September 26, and ends on Wednesday, October 5 (event dates vary).
Prepare your family for Navratri this year with a garba and dandiya tutorial!
Gujarati Cultural Association (GCA) Bay Area Raas Garba, Fremont
Dates: Friday, Sept. 30; Saturday, Oct.1; Friday, Oct.7, Saturday, Oct.8
Time: 7:30 pm-11:30 pm
Where: Washington High School, 38442 Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94536
Website to RSVP >
SEF Dandia 2022, Santa Clara
When: Saturday, Oct.1; Sunday, Oct. 2; Friday, Oct.7
Time: 7:00 pm-11:30 pm
Where: Santa Clara Convention Center, 5001 Great America Pkwy, Santa Clara
Kids 5 & under, FREE
Find out more >
Jingle Garba: Let’s Go Kids, Fremont
When: Sunday, October 2 (5 pm-7 pm)
Where: Centerville Junior High School, 37720 Fremont Blvd, Fremont
More information >
Disco Dandiya for a Cause (Children’s Mental Health Awareness), San Ramon
When: Saturday, October 8 (5:30-9:30 pm)
Where: Gale Ranch Middle School, 6400 Main Branch Rd., San Ramon
Kids under 4, FREE
Ticket Information >
Did we miss one? Send us any events happening in your community.