We have our very own Central Park right here in the (510). If you haven’t spent much time in Fremont, you might not be aware that it is home to a 450-acre park with an enormous lake, Lake Elizabeth, right in the middle of it. Not only does Central Park offer tons of space to run and play, picnic, and exercise, there is a unique playground unlike any I’ve seen.
Fremont’s Central Park, just a 35-minute drive from East Oakland, has become our go-to spot for entertaining the kids while rejuvenating our own mind and body (and sanity). The true beauty of Central Park is the wide range of activities it offers for families. We’ve walked, jogged, biked, relaxed, picnicked, and visited three playgrounds – all in a matter of hours!
Fremont’s Lake Elizabeth
Prior to the pandemic, the main draw to Central Park is Lake Elizabeth. This 80-acre lake generally offers a range of boating and watercraft activities.
As we wait for the recreational activities to resume, the lakeside is still enjoyable. A two-mile paved path alongside the lake is ideal to get your body moving in your favorite way, which for my five-year-old is scootering. The path includes gorgeous views of the Mission Peak hills, benches to watch birds gather on Duck Island, and a creek you can dip your feet in. The wildlife also makes the view quite striking with plenty of ducks, geese, squirrels, and even cats. (Yes, cats! You will see stray cats around the lake, but they are not aggressive.)
Pro tip: Paths are nice and wide, but some areas get congested, especially on weekends when there are more crowds.
Play Structures at Central Park in Fremont
There are a total of four playgrounds along the Central Park perimeter, the most popular being the Always Dream Play Park. This all-abilities park is known for its merry-go-round, sandpit, swings, water features, instruments, and much more.
Learn more about Fremont’s Always Dream Play Park.
Another favorite is the eye-catching Sabercat playground, which is a massive play structure, perfectly sectioned off for toddlers, and older kids. Children of all ages can swing, climb, spin, slide, and practice their balance with unique, well-designed structures. My daughter definitely feels like a tree-climbing daredevil on this playground (even though mommy has to give her a boost).
Two additional, smaller playgrounds are located on each end of the east and west parking entrances. Though these structures are common with most standard playgrounds, it is convenient if you are dropping in for a quick playtime. Both my five and two year old will spend a good amount of time playing on the slides, swings, and rope climbing structures.
Central Park itself has a range of parks within the park, including a Skate Park, a Dog Park, and the Aqua Adventure Park, which is open seasonally.
Central Park and Lake Elizabeth Features
- Many clean restrooms throughout the park.
- Ample free parking.
- Pet friendly.
- Bike, scooter, and people-friendly.
- Picnic tables and park benches are available.
- Plenty of room to picnic on the grass fields.
- Soccer fields, tennis courts, performance pavilion, and driving range around the park.
Parent Tips for your Park Visit
- Food: We bring our own and spread out on the grass. For nearby dining, Pieology pizza and The Counter burger joint is a 5-minute drive (15-20 minute walk) around the corner; and fast food and sit down restaurants are abundant within a short drive.
- What to Bring: Comfortable shoes, picnic blanket, snacks, and balls to toss around the fields.
- Shade: Not much. Be sure to pack water, sunscreen, hats, and even an umbrella if you plan to picnic.
- Play areas: Padded playgrounds. Not shaded, and can get packed.
- Crowds: Weekday mornings are less crowded. Weekends are quite crowded as the day progresses.
Plan Your Visit to Central Park
Location: 40000 Paseo Padre Pkwy, Fremont
Bottom Line on Central Park in Fremont
We have become regulars at Fremont’s Central Park. It’s a free spot to hang out, enjoy nature, and have fun with the kids. You and your children will not be disappointed. If anything, you’re bound to make a cute furry friend during your visit.