The Rancho San Ramon Community Park, off of Dougherty Road, proves to be a playground that has it all for my children. With three separate play areas and a splash pad, now open until the fall, little ones want to stay for hours.
Splash Pad at Rancho San Ramon Community Park
Just in time for the next round of heatwaves, the Rancho San Ramon Community Park’s splash pad is open daily from 11 am – 5 pm until October. I personally like that the spray areas are spread out a bit, making it easier for kids to social distance while making it less likely for them to collide. I didn’t worry as much about my two-year-old sharing this space with older kids running wild.
The splash area also features plenty of seating areas (some under a canopy) surrounding the pad, so you can easily watch your kids.
Remember to pack:
- extra clothes
- toys for them to enjoy water play even more
- portable shade structure
- snacks or lunch
Rancho San Ramon Community Park’s (Dry) Playgrounds
If your children are anything like mine, they may decide on a whim that getting wet is out of the question. Luckily, this park features an extended play area with much to do for a range of ages.
Ziplining is the most popular feature at the park. The line of excited kids eagerly waiting their turn seems to move fairly quickly. And those zipping along are always full of giggles and smiles as they embark on their mini-adventure.
The rest of the play area, for kids above five years, reminds me of a small obstacle course. It includes unique structures for your little explorers to swing, spin, climb, and slide. Some kids did struggle climbing the artificial boulders, so best to keep an eye on your daredevils in this particular play area.
For smaller tots around ages two to four, their play area features two baby swings, multiple slide structures, spring rockers, and plenty of space to run, crawl, and get mulch all over their clothes. And if the mulch isn’t enough to clean up, there is also a large sandpit at this San Ramon Park.
San Ramon Community Park Features
- Benches, and picnic tables with awning available
- Clean, spacious restrooms
- Ample, free parking surrounding the entire premise
- The layout of the playground makes it pretty easy to keep an eye on kids
- Fenced around so it’s hard for children to escape into the parking lot
- Tennis courts on-site, and two large fields for a variety of sports or group events
Parent Tips & Other Stuff to Know
- The playground has no natural shade and limited shade canopies, so we like to come before the afternoon sun settles in.
- It is a good idea to bring hats and even umbrellas or sun shades as some sitting areas may not have shade
- There are no grills at this park.
- There are no restaurants within walking distance, but plenty of fast food options right off of the Dougherty exit on your way to the park.
Plan your Visit to Rancho San Ramon Community Park
Location: 1998 Rancho Park Loop, San Ramon
Tips: Located along the hills of the San Ramon Valley, the drive there is about a half-hour from East Oakland. As you enter the lot, you will see two large turf fields, but if you keep driving through the parking area, you will come across this gem of a playground and plenty of open parking spots.
Bottom Line on Rancho San Ramon Community Park
With such a well-designed and diverse play area for many ages and interests, and free parking and admission, it is definitely worth the drive over-especially if your kids are brave enough to zipline! The park proved to be clean and safe as well.