UC Berkeley is a beautiful campus with so much to explore, see and do. On days we don’t know what to do, we almost always end up at Cal – scooting around, finding a place to eat lunch, and admiring the beautiful buildings. Here’s a list of our top things to do at Cal with kids.
- Be a junior scientist. Visit the giant dinosaur skeleton and butterflies in the Valley Life Sciences building.
- Get super high. Climb the Campanile (AKA Sather Tower) for some of the best views of Berkeley and the Bay. Hitting the Campanile around noon is fun for the bell tower tunes.
- Enjoy lunch on Memorial Glade. Top Dog’s hot dogs are our favorite lunch to pick up nearby. Fast, cheap and pleases everybody. Bring a frisbee to throw around after.
- Go to a game. Beyond men’s football, there are dozens of lower-priced sports games to enjoy on campus that are super fun for kids. Check the current calendar here>
- Go back in time. Take a photo in front of South Hall, the oldest building on campus built in 1873.
- Follow Strawberry Creek through campus and perhaps get your feet a little wet on a warm day.
- Go on a scavenger hunt to find all the bear statues – Cal’s mascot – there are 27! Here’s a walking tour to help you find them all >
- Take a cocoa break. Read the daily news from newspapers around the world at the Free Speech Movement Cafe from morning to mid-day. Stop in for a coffee and pastry if you have the time.
If You Go:
- Parking is by permit only on weekdays on the Cal Campus, but you can easily park just off campus and walk in.
- Bring scooters to take advantage of all the paved flat paths and gentle hills.
- The bell concert at Campanile/Sather Tower is currently performed at 8am/12pm/6pm.
- You can go up the Tower Monday-Friday: 10am – 4pm/Saturday: 10am – 5pm/Sunday: 10am – 1pm & 3pm – 5pm. Prices are $4-5, under 2 FREE, credit card ONLY.
- The Tower is not stroller friendly since you’ll need to climb 38 steps from the top of the elevator to the observation platform.
- Masks are currently required in campus buildings.
What are your favorite things to do at Cal with kids?
[Thank you to Becky Matthews for contributing to this article. Go Bears]