UC Berkeley is a beautiful campus with so much to explore, see and do. On days we don’t know what to do, we almost always end up at Cal – scooting around, finding a place to picnic, and admiring the beautiful buildings. Here’s a list of our top things to do at Cal with kids.
- Be a junior scientist. Visit the giant dinosaur skeleton and butterflies in the Valley Life Sciences building.
- Get super high. Climb the Campanile (AKA Sather Tower) for some of the best views of Berkeley and the Bay. Hitting the campanile around noon is fun for the bell tower tunes.
- Picnic on Memorial Glade. Top Dog’s hot dogs are our favorite lunch to pick up nearby. Fast, cheap and pleases everybody. Bring a frisbee to throw around after.
- Go to a game. Beyond men’s football, there are dozens of lower-priced sports games to enjoy on campus that are superfun for kids. A few of our favorite Cal Sports games for families here >
- Go back in time. Take a photo in front of South Hall, the oldest building on campus built in 1873.
- Follow Strawberry Creek through campus and perhaps get your feet a little wet on a warm day.
- Go on a scavenger hunt to find all the bear statues – Cal’s mascot – there are 27! Here’s a walking tour to help you find them all >
- Take a cocoa break. Read the daily news from newspapers around the world at the Free Speech Movement Cafe from morning to mid-day. Stop in for a coffee and pastry if you have the time.
What are your favorite things to do at Cal with kids?
[Thank you to Becky Matthews for contributing to this article. Go Bears]