Thanks to the folks at Color Me Mine in Alameda for helping us put together this list of things to do with kids in Alameda.
1) Paint ceramics with your family at Color Me Mine, naturally. It's in the South Shore Center.
2) Bring the little ones to the sandbox and playground at Franklin Park, which one of our contributors says would be the Happiest Place on Earth if only they would install a coffee dispenser.
3) Bowl at the newly renovated AMF Southshore Lanes on Park Street.
4) Bike your way along the new path on Shoreline; Tourists can find rentals at Pedal Beach, including beach chairs and umbrellas!
5) Volunteer at Friends of Alameda Animal Shelter. Junior Volunteers are kids 10 and up.
6) Order whatever you like for lunch at Off The Grid gourmet food trucks at Southshore Center on Saturdays from 11-3.
7) Explore the largest Antique Fair/Flea Market in Northern California at Alameda Point, one Sunday per month. Collectibles are all more than 20 years old, including furniture, sporting equipment, Matchbox cars, apparel, dolls, and vintage toys. (This is more fun as a babywearing outing and less fun as a bored-five-year-old-pulling-your-arm outing.)
8) Climb the rock wall at The Bladium, a sports club for families with tons of fun activities for kids.
9) Indulge in a HaloHalo or Banana Split at Loard's Ice Cream.
10) Become a Pinball Wizard at Pacific Pinball Museum or High Scores Arcade.
11) Drop in for playtime at Twirl, where kids can make art, swing, or slide.
Photo by Alameda travel blogger Leslie Harvey
12) Take in a movie at the beautiful Alameda Theater, and don't miss the cheap summer movie program!
13) Dine at Tomatina's on Thursdays when kids eat free! It's on Park Street.
14) Swim in a clean, heated pool at Aquatech during drop-in times, for kids as young as eight weeks old!
15) Check out the Bay creatures in the 800-gallon aquarium system at the Crab Cove Visitor Center.
16) Board the USS Hornet aircraft carrier that served in World War II and Apollo recovery which is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm.
17) Ice skate — or watch — when South Shore Center opens the Little Ice Rink in November.
18) Plan one December night to stroll down Alameda's legendary Christmas Tree Lane and enjoy the community vibe.
19) Take advantage of drop-in daycare (and nightcare!) at Ruby's Tumbling. Fun for kids, a break for grown-ups.
20) Enjoy delicious ice cream between two homemade cookies at Cookiebar Creamery on Webster Street.
21) Drop the kids off at Kids Night Out at Color Me Mine, held one Saturday per month.
22) Explore the many exhibits and programs offered by Rythmix Cultural Center. (Coming soon: The Amazing Bubble Show!)
23) Putt all 18 of the creative Bay Area-themed holes at Subpar mini-golf.
24) Check out the Farmer's Markets on Tuesday and Saturday on Webster & Haight or select Thursdays at 1451 Harbor Bay Pkwy.
25) Test drive your newest trike or bike on the many walking paths along the bay or lagoons on Bay Farm Island.
Thanks again for all these great ideas for things to do with kids in Alameda, Color Me Mine! See you around the island!
Color Me Mine is located at 2205 South Shore Center Alameda, CA. Call with questions about dropping in, birthday parties, and parent's nights out: 510.521.8893